How do you reinstall a processor thats stuck to the heat sink?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I'm trying to reinstall a Socket 478 processor. I removed the heat sink to clean it out (really filthy) and I noticed that the processor came out with it. How do I put it back in the socket (w/o removing it from the heat sink)? Since it's stuck to the heat sink, it's really hard to know if all of the pins are alligned with the socket or not. Can someone please help me out? Thanks in advance.

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I assume the orange light is in the motherboard... you should check you user's guide about that computer and see what that means, usually blinking lights means a special code dependent on the manufacturer, but it can also just be a power/stand by light that says the board is getting power from the power supply. Did you ever notice the light before you had a problem?

try changing the memory modules from slots, try only one in each socket... and by the way you should avoid getting a new graphics card for that computer, especially if it has already has a problem to start with, you should try to borrow one from a friend, or even try to get it diagnosed in a shop if you cant get a hold of one... thats an old system, and most things you buy for it wont work on newer systems... i also have a 478 machine thats currently not working and i prefered to buy a new system... (though i will be reparing it for my father to play with it lol

Oh and just out of curiosty i had the same problem when i first took out my CPU, it was hard but i managed to do it in a rather funny way... i heated the cooler in my chest until it was near my body surface temperature and i just turned the CPU until it got free... =) though i took it out of the socket a few years back so maibe the thermal paste wasnt so stuck yet lol...

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
The orange light is not on the motherboard. On the gateway PC, when you press the power button, the light comes on (it's built into the power button). Normally, it's green. But now when I try to start it up, it's orange. I cannot find that anywhere in my gateway user manual. Why is it orange??? When I try to start the computer up, I have "No Signal" on my monitor. What could be causing that? I already changed the video card. I tried using S-Video instead of DVI (in case the cable was bad). What is wrong with my PC?

You're missing or not answering some questions.

However, I gather your PC is still not working. And you have an orange light on your power button instead of green.

If all you did was rip the heatsink & processor out of the socket, and if you put it back in correctly, and your PC now doesn't work . . . the odds that something else failed right at that same moment are quite low.

Odds are you now have either a bad processor, or a bad mobo (socket), or both.

I have had that issue and twice had to put the heatsink on the stove burner till it got warm but not hot enough to ware you can't touch or hold but match the warmth of that of a cup of coffee or hot tea. Then the tim should become soft enough to be pulled away with the hand or with the aid of a dull knife. After that mess just clean up the cpu and the heatsink while checking to see if there is any bent pins.

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

lols, you and I are in th same boat cap'n. I did the same thing with my processor, it came out still stuck to the heat sink and I thought it was supposed to be that way. The first time I reinstalled it I thought it went into the socket all the way, but it didnt'. Then I found out the processor comes off, so I unlocked the zif socket and did the whole reassemble thing with the new compound. Got my computer back together completely and I get the no signal input with no post, just fans and a hard drive spinning. I think it may be the motherboard or the CPU, I need to find a way to test my processor without another working computer. Does anyone know of a way to test the processor? maybe a special tool, or somewhere I can probe with my DMM?

Finding a tool or test kit for testing your cpu won't be easy or worth it. Your best best is what others have said test your cpu in a different board. Your board maybe at fault when you tried to reinstall your cpu while it what still stuck to the cooler. Look again for any bent, damaged, or missing pins because the can be fault two in your setup.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I have access to neither a test kit not another mobo. On the processor, there is one bent pin. It is bent at the halfway point and I did my best to straighen it out. I put the processor in and it popped into the socket just fine. The thermal material was applied and I put everythin back in place. I still keep getting that orange light. What is going on??? I need to know for sure! I have to get that desktop up and running soon, because it's the family computer and everyone is basically using my laptop.

You need a new cpu and/or mobo. There is no way anyone of us can be sure of anything, except that pulling the cpu out of its socket without releasing it has damaged the cpu or the mobo or both.

You say you put a different cpu in it, and it didn't work. Assuming that cpu was compatible with your mobo and BIOS, that would confirm the mobo is bad.

Your cpu is also probably bad, but that remains unconfirmed.

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

kek, yeah you're right this isn't my thread

ccpyue

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I just have gone thru the same process ended up one of the pin in the CPU broke. So you better check your CPU pins, under bright light best with magnifying lense. Make sure all pins are there and not bent. If any pin bent, means it will break off when you try to bend it back.

Well.... we're glad you're helping out and all but...... I think you're nearly a year late on giving that advice. :whistle:

ccpyue

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
mikekazik1, I tell you how I fixed my broken pin CPU. It works fine now: I find an electric wire with very narrow and a bit soft metal wire inside. I stripped the metal wire out. I located the broken pin position in the socket. Unlocked socket, I inserted the metal wire in to that position, lightly push it down to bottom. Locked up the socket. Then, I cut the wire leaving app 0.5mm wire stick above the socket. Now sit the CPU in to the unlocked socket. Push CPU down with light force and then locked up the socket. Install heat sink and fan. It should works if it is only the CPU broken pin problem.
But to do this, you must be handy, detail, and be patient. If yor let the metal wire stick out too long, when you press the CPU down, it may bend the metal wire to one side and touching other part of the PCU, consequent may be very serious. May damage not only the CPU. So if you want to do that too, do that at your own risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.