Question How does the 2 Year Date of Purchase Protection Plan from Micro Center Work?

CapedCrusader'39

Reputable
Mar 25, 2020
So I bought a Reference Radeon 6950XT from Micro Center and it was a great card, don't let this post shy anyone away from getting one if you're on a budget as all these problems don't apply to everyone, but for me it is not living up to the performance expectations I had, and two while this probably isn't happening much to everyone else, I have experienced frequent crashes on my 6950XT from just playing games after about 2-3 hours of gameplay after a recent driver update & rolling back the drivers did nothing to fix the problem DDU did nothing either, there also is some loud and noticeable coil whine and I have a 7.1 speaker system playing at 70dB and I can still hear it. I bought it back on April 4th, 2023, and I also bought the "2 Year Date of Purchase Protection Plan" in-case something like this happened.

I was wondering if can I return the card and get my money back on my Debit Card because I can now pay for an RTX 4080, and if I get the $707.25 USD back on my Debit Card that I spent on the 6950XT minus the warranty to cover the majority cost for a 4080 from Best Buy that will cost $1,298.39 USD after taxes, (as they have the most affordable 4080 options and Microcenter is only selling an ASUS ProArt 4080 and for that price after Taxes I can get a founders 4090). It will reduce the cost I have to pay for a 4080 down to just 591.14 USD out of my pocket which is cheaper than what I paid for my 6950XT at $787.24 USD with the Protection Plan.

I don't Fully understand the protection plan only what the guy told me, "You can return the GPU for any reason and you can exchange the GPU or we'll give you your money back", but I don't fully understand the plan or how it works and is what he said true?

So according to the Protection Plan and the Guy from Micro Center, can I get the money back on my Debit Card or will they just give me in-store credit?

Would it be better just to sell the 6950XT if I can figure out what's causing the crashing problem andit turns out to be fine?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant