Question How does Windows 10 assign numbers to multiple displays?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, in Settings->Display, monitors are often numbered by Windows. How does Windows assign the numbers? Can it be changed?
It is probably a condition of which port they are connected to.

But the ID number does not really matter.

This is my 3...
lEEgpvA.jpg

They do not have to go in order, left to right.

Reactions: modeonoff

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
If possible, I would prefer Windows to number them as 1-2-3 even it does not matter.

Another confusion is that Nvidia Control Panel numbers the displays differently from Windows. So arranging the displays under Nvidia Control Panel does not change the numberings in Windows's display settings.

USAFRet

Titan
If possible, I would prefer Windows to number them as 1-2-3 even it does not matter.

Another confusion is that Nvidia Control Panel numbers the displays differently from Windows. So arranging the displays under Nvidia Control Panel does not change the numberings in Windows's display settings.
Change which physical ports the monitors are connected to.
What happens?

Hi, in Settings->Display, monitors are often numbered by Windows. How does Windows assign the numbers? Can it be changed?
It's likley in order of what GPU the system enumerates them in (so integrated GPUs go before discrete GPUs) and by the port numbers in the GPU itself. So if ports 1, 2, and 3 were HDMI, DP and DP in your video card, anything plugged into the HDMI port is always going to be monitor #1.

So this can't be changed.

For Windows PC, is it safe to unplug and re-plug the video cable while the machine is on?
Yes.

In any case, the numbering is simply for identification purposes.

Thanks. I only use the DisplayPort ports. So what I should do is to figure out which physical port corresponds to which number?
Just plug in monitors into various ports and see what number they come up with.

In my case, my video card's outputs, if you look it from the backplate are DP, HDMI, DP. To test things out, I have a 4K, 1080p, and 1440p monitor hooked up to those ports in that order. This is what Windows shows me:
fMFYDJb.png

If I swap the 1440p and 4K monitors however, this is what it shows me:
iywIY2o.png

So we can infer then that the first DP port is monitor #1, the second DP port is monitor #2, and the HDMI port is monitor #3.

However if I don't have the 4K monitor plugged in:
1dWoX6B.png

Now the 1080p monitor shows up as monitor #2.

Your video card may vary in how it assigns the numbers, but you can't really figure it out unless you actually try playing around with it.