How fast is an SSD in SATA II port?

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Hello everyone my PC died a couple weeks ago due to the HDD problems and also because it was too old (about 10 years). So probably this week ill buy Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB but my PC is not SATA III its SATA II i know SSD's can support SATA II but the speed will decrease about 40% (i think). Before my PC died i did a test on CrystalDisk to test the speed of the HDD and it was pretty bad if i remember read and write was about 50-55mbps (remember it was 10 years old HDD). I saw a video 1 hour ago about the "850 EVO on a SATA II port" i know there were no videos about the 860. I was thinking the people that they are using the 860 EVO on a SATA II port i want to know the speeds. SATA III is 550mpbs read and 520mbps write but in SATA II how much is it? 300mbps read and 320mbps?

If you need my specs:
Intel I5 750 2.8ghz
HDD (the one that died): WDC GREEN WD5000AACS-00G8B1
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
PSU: i dont remember the model but i know its a 500w and is a SATA II
GPU: Geforce GT 9800
RAM: 12gb

Thank you

It is theoretical limit of SATA2 interface for sequential data transfers.

Intel-320-HDTune-Pro-Bench.png

Real world difference is much more pronounced than those sequential results would suggest though.

Apart from large file transfers/copies/moves ,99% of what you'll use with an sad as the main drive will be random accessing.
This is near instantaneous on nand flash & the difference in system responsiveness will be massively noticeable.

I reaced my dell laptop hard drive with an ssd(2012 model so sata 2)

Made it a completely different machine , for the better. 15 second boot,time, instant webpage, document opening etc.

Still absolutely worthwhile for breathing new life into an old machine.

All I'd say is if you can find something by sandisk,Kingston (apart from the a400) , or crucial significantly cheaper than the 860 then save some money because performance on sata 2 will be virtually identical.

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017

Ok thank you ill see what i can do

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree you will find the SSD much faster than your old HDD.

In terms of Specs, the SATA II interface system (now called SATA 3.0 Gbps) has a maximum data transfer speed of 3.0 Gbps. Many SSD's can perform at that level, and some of the best can do more IF they are connected via the newer SATA 6.0 Gbps interface which you don't have. But NO SSD can perform at that 6 Gbps level - that interface was designed to be FASTER than any real storage device can use. More importantly, you will likely get close to the 3.0 Gbps performance on many operations using the SSD, whereas you report that your 10-year-old SATA HDD gave you about one quarter of that. So yes, you'll see a real improvement!

If u are worried about spending$ on a fast SSD just not to get the whole benefit out of it..... there are 2 things to consider (1)Can move fast SSD to new machine, then you are all set or (2)Buy cheap SSD (lower performance but good enough for sata2, if you are going to keep this old box for few years more.