Question How good are I5-4690K and R9 280X DUAL-X 3GB OC working together?

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Hello guys.
I've been wondering how good are I5-4690K and R9 280X actually working together. That's because I installed FORTNITE today, but when I entered game in medium settings, it was hella laggy and my PC crashed. Then I tried again after restart. I could play, but I got framedrops while playing. Is there a bottleneck or I just can't play FORTNITE on this hardware?

CPU: I5-4690K
GPU: R9 280X DUAL-X 3GB OC
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ
PSU: COOLERMASTER 500W

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Have you monitored temps while in game?
Is it only Fortnite that does this?
What exact PSU is that?

A 4690K and 280X, though older, shouldnt be struggling.
Hi dear Gam3r01,
My cpu temps are between 60 and 75 degrees all the time and my gpu temps never go more than 70c.
I’m not sure what psu this is but I donˋt know if a bad PSU can degrade performance..

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Hi dear Gam3r01,
My cpu temps are between 60 and 75 degrees all the time and my gpu temps never go more than 70c.
I’m not sure what psu this is but I donˋt know if a bad PSU can degrade performance..
And rocket league is frame dropping sometimes, i play it at almost maxed settings

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello guys.
I've been wondering how good are I5-4690K and R9 280X actually working together. That's because I installed FORTNITE today, but when I entered game in medium settings, it was hella laggy and my PC crashed. Then I tried again after restart. I could play, but I got framedrops while playing. Is there a bottleneck or I just can't play FORTNITE on this hardware?

CPU: I5-4690K
GPU: R9 280X DUAL-X 3GB OC
16GB DDR3 1600MHZ
PSU: COOLERMASTER 500W

It this point, it could be a basic gaming rig.

The PSU is a very big red flag. Cooler Master sells very few non-junk PSUs and the 280X is an extremely power-hungry card. Will need to know the exact PSU. Chances are, it's completely inappropriate to be using that PSU with this hardware, in which case it needs to replaced under any and all circumstances.

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022

The PSU is a very big red flag. Cooler Master sells very few non-junk PSUs and the 280X is an extremely power-hungry card. Will need to know the exact PSU. Chances are, it's completely inappropriate to be using that PSU with this hardware, in which case it needs to replaced under any and all circumstances.
A model is CoolerMaster rs–500–ACAB–M3

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022

But do you think PSU could actually cause problems with fortnite? I play CSGO and have over 200 fps all the time, I play LoL on very high settings having around 115 FPS.
My screen resolution is 1360x768.

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Well, that's horrifying. This is decade-old group-regulated junk that's cheaply made even by Cooler Master's very low standards. Remove that GPU until you have something suitable; hopefully, it hasn't already damaged that GPU, which was notorious for failure.
Welp… Actually it maybe damaged the GPU already. Before I got everything to work, I put that gpu in my PC then installed the drivers. While it was installing, my screen went blank with some red dots on it. I was confused, then I restarted my pc again when I saw two vertical red lines on my monitor. I tried heating it up to 200c 9 mins in oven, and now it works fine, but I have a problem with firtnite.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Welp… Actually it maybe damaged the GPU already. Before I got everything to work, I put that gpu in my PC then installed the drivers. While it was installing, my screen went blank with some red dots on it. I was confused, then I restarted my pc again when I saw two vertical red lines on my monitor. I tried heating it up to 200c 9 mins in oven, and now it works fine, but I have a problem with firtnite.

Yup, sounds like it's on the way out. Not much to do in that case.

A new PSU would certainly be a good idea, and could potentially solve the issues you are having.
However, if you are baking your card thats usually an indication the card is failing as well.
Or
You baked a working card due to PSU issues, and now its failing as well.

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
A new PSU would certainly be a good idea, and could potentially solve the issues you are having.
However, if you are baking your card thats usually an indication the card is failing as well.
Or
You baked a working card due to PSU issues, and now its failing as well.
After baking my card, it is not failing at all.

Nenadinho

Prominent
Apr 26, 2022
Baking a GPU almost never actually "fixes" anything, only delays or masks the underlying issue.
That said, you need a new PSU regardless.
I didn‘t have any other option since nothing worked. Tried reseating, same problem. And pc didn‘t boot either, it was just a blank screen after windows logo loading.