How Google is Turning Chrome Into a Gaming Platform

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I applaud Google's effort, though I'd rather prefer playing the game on my desktop. It just seems wasteful to duplicate the APIs already available in Windows.[/citation]

I hear you, but this is kind of a big deal. If you could play AAA games in a browser, you could play any game on Windows, Mac, Linux, or any other OS. All the developers could code for one system and not leave anyone out.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]HMRkingpin[/nom]I hear you, but this is kind of a big deal. If you could play AAA games in a browser, you could play any game on Windows, Mac, Linux, or any other OS. All the developers could code for one system and not leave anyone out.[/citation]
I agree with that.

G

Why reinvent the wheel. Like the quake live approach isn't enough?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]You've gotta admit CoD is far more elaborate than the old MS-DOS games (circa ~1994) we so often see demos of within browsers, and easily far more detailed than say... Battlefield Heroes?I would very much like to see more progress within the realm of browser-gaming. Actual 3D visuals instead of NES/SNES-esque 8/16-bit scrolling 2D visuals would be a welcomed improvement. If such things can become standardized within HTML-5, then developers would have a solid, standardized platform on which to base game development as well.[/citation]

2d web games are FAR ABOVE AND SUPERIOR to 8-16 bit games of old , those old games enver incorperated hand draw art work , while 2d web gmaes do utilize 2 art work. what about 3d makes it better ??? it' is differnet that is given but don't disredit 2d artist by actily like 3d is jsut better jsut because you may liek that look more keep in mind not all xbox live gmes are 3d games either ther are many that sue 2d art quite effectively adn beautifully. I think it is said that every oen is rushing to get 3d , disney , clsoed their 2d animation studios, every oen wants 3d animation movies now except the japanese who stil turn out awsome animation series adn movies i thin it is a sahmea dn a discredit to our culture adn the huamn race as awhole that we are so ready to put 2d art to pasture simply beacuse soemthing new adn difernet has come along.

bens1

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Why do we want to run AAA games in a browser? Why not just run them as we do today?

If you're using C/C++ and the machines native APIs then you're game will only work on one specific platform, so you can't say that running a game in a browser allows it to run on any platform.

G

As a developer that has been spending a fair amount of time playing with WebGL recently, I'd like to say that anyone that's whining about performance in the browser is has no idea what they're talking about. From what I've seen I'd wager that on a decent PC with a good browser (like Chrome) your gaming performance is going to fall somewhere between the current console generation and the previous one. Yeah, you'll still squeeze more power out of native code, but you'd be shocked at how well your browser can keep up. I would not be at all surprised to see games on-par with, say, Portal in the next couple of years.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Google & its Chrome ambitions will all lead us to the masters den. Yes the masters den of the kingdom of the Cloud. Once we're sucked in,it will be too late for us to go back,because we always seem to have that idea of 'well we're here,we may as well keep on going'. A pathetic excuse for this de-evolution of mankind.

G

Chromium is an element not an OS, NaCl is a salt and not native client. Guess what kids will have hardtime to keep knowing names of technology and chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.