[SOLVED] How high is too high regarding the GPU Core and Memory MHz?

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Just got a brand new 1660 super oc. Whenever i play a graphic demanding game (Rising Storm 2:Vietnam) the Core is between 1700 to 1900 MHz, and the memory is between 6000 and 7000 MHz. Is this normal? and how high is too high?

My Specs:
W10 Pro
i5 10400F
16gb DDR4
GTX1660 Super OC
512SSD

Note, I dont overclock or use any kind of softwares e.g MSI Afterburner

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you do not over-ride the default settings, then the card will boost itself as much as it can and still be safe. if the temps get too high or it reaches a pre-defined value then it will throttle it back to stay safe.

it's only when you start manually setting things that things can and do go wrong. so long as you are leaving it to defaults, then i'd not worry as the card will protect itself and not allow any damage to happen. it's running as it should out of the box

Reactions: MajorMas

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
if you do not over-ride the default settings, then the card will boost itself as much as it can and still be safe. if the temps get too high or it reaches a pre-defined value then it will throttle it back to stay safe.

it's only when you start manually setting things that things can and do go wrong. so long as you are leaving it to defaults, then i'd not worry as the card will protect itself and not allow any damage to happen. it's running as it should out of the box
Hi, thanks for the reply! I did not over ride the settings at all so hopefully everything is fine. I just learned that an OC gpu is already overclocked by the manufacturers. Is this true? if so it could explain why the MHz is so high!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they come with a small oc out of the box, but what you are seeing is the boost technology.

this means so long as there is thermal and power headroom, the card will automatically up the speed until it can't anymore. this is a couple generations old now and works really well. this is why when you read reviews, they can rarely manually do any better than the card will do by itself. new cpu's also do this and has the same result.

just leave it as is and know that the card will handle things and will ensure you get the best performance out of it in every situation.

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
they come with a small oc out of the box, but what you are seeing is the boost technology.

this means so long as there is thermal and power headroom, the card will automatically up the speed until it can't anymore. this is a couple generations old now and works really well. this is why when you read reviews, they can rarely manually do any better than the card will do by itself. new cpu's also do this and has the same result.

just leave it as is and know that the card will handle things and will ensure you get the best performance out of it in every situation.
Thats good to hear. FYI, i just opened Afterburner to see if there were any kind of OC. I played a little bit with the settings but eventually reset the settings and uninstalled it. Would this somehow affect anything?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not really. so long as you put it all back to defaults.

many years ago you could actually get some major performance increases with overclocking. but over the years they have been pushing the chips to their max right out of the box. so the expensive "oc" models rarely have much of an oc. maybe 200 mhz if you're lucky. but it really does not matter since it will still boost once running. so does the base non-oc model which makes spending extra for an oc model usually pointless.

now if you spend for massive cooling and power delivery, it will make a difference since there will be more headroom to boost to. but even these only give a few % of increase which does not justify the often hundreds of $ more for the card.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the stock model base clocks at 1530 and boosts to about 1785. you'll have to look at the specs for your card to see what it says it is set at. but again the numbers are not really worth much since it will boost higher if it can. it may have a higher base clock, which it won't stay at when in a game anyway, but it will still boost as high as it can no matter what it is set at out of the box.

i'd leave it alone and leave it at defaults since there is nothing to be gained by trying to manually set it higher.

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
the stock model base clocks at 1530 and boosts to about 1785. you'll have to look at the specs for your card to see what it says it is set at. but again the numbers are not really worth much since it will boost higher if it can. it may have a higher base clock, which it won't stay at when in a game anyway, but it will still boost as high as it can no matter what it is set at out of the box.

i'd leave it alone and leave it at defaults since there is nothing to be gained by trying to manually set it higher.
so let me clarify for the last time, if its more than 1800 its still normal yeah?