[SOLVED] How high should the avg Ryzen 3700x boost in an all-core load?

wessel.vandenhurk

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago I build myself a new system with the following components:
  • Asus Prime X-470 Pro (stock settings, DOCP only)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Gskill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb 3600mhz

Recently I've noticed something: when running Cinebench R20 and monitoring through Ryzen Master, my CPU only boosts to about 3700-3800mhz and gets a score of about 4600 points.
Temperatures are staying around the 70C mark with my Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 4. I completely understand it is impossible to reach a 4.4ghz all core since that's the max for a single core.
However I did expect it to boost to about 4.1-4.2ghz when hit with an all-core load.

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or what settings I should change? Or have I dramatically lost the silicon lottery?

Solution
Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago I build myself a new system with the following components:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Recently I've noticed something: when running Cinebench R20 and monitoring through Ryzen Master, my CPU only boosts to about 3700-3800mhz and gets a score of about 4600 points.
Temperatures are staying around the 70C mark with my Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 4. I completely understand it is impossible to reach a 4.4ghz all core since that's the max for a single core.
However I did expect it to boost to about 4.1-4.2ghz when hit with an all-core load.

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or what settings I should change...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sounds like you lost the silicon lottery. mine will hit all core of about 4.25 ghz when running full load torture test like prime 95. staying around 60 degrees or so. that's all 16 threads running max. i've seen 5 or 6 cores at 4.4 ghz during normal use but have not maxed out all cores in normal day to day use. it's just not gonna happen in normal use. mine seems to be better than average from what i have seen so you're results will obviously vary.

i have done nothing special with the settings. i only turned on XMP for my ram and PBO and touched nothing else. from what i've seen manually trying to OC is basically useless so i never even gave it a single thought.

wessel.vandenhurk

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
sounds like you lost the silicon lottery. mine will hit all core of about 4.25 ghz when running full load torture test like prime 95. staying around 60 degrees or so. that's all 16 threads running max. i've seen 5 or 6 cores at 4.4 ghz during normal use but have not maxed out all cores in normal day to day use. it's just not gonna happen in normal use. mine seems to be better than average from what i have seen so you're results will obviously vary.

i have done nothing special with the settings. i only turned on XMP for my ram and PBO and touched nothing else. from what i've seen manually trying to OC is basically useless so i never even gave it a single thought.
That stinks! I don't even get the 4.4 GHz when for example running a single core test or just regular use. 4.2-4.3 at most. Is PBO something that is enabled by default in the bios? I might contact the store I bought it from to see what they have to say.

wessel.vandenhurk

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
That stinks! I don't even get the 4.4 GHz when for example running a single core test or just regular use. 4.2-4.3 at most. Is PBO something that is enabled by default in the bios? I might contact the store I bought it from to see what they have to say.
I might also try overclocking manually. Even though it seems unlikely, if I can get it to 4.2 all core that would be a big improvement!

Hi everyone,

• AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or what settings I should change? Or have I dramatically lost the silicon lottery?
You need to enable and set PBO which can be found in two places but to get full frequency and top benchmark scores temperature has to be controlled to well bellow 70c. You probably have later production date than my 3700x which should give you up to 100MHz better frequency.
As it is, I'm getting 4.398GHz oin one core and over4.2GHz on other cores which scores 5000+ in CB r20 and 4200+ in Passmark Speed test but only if temps stay at 65c or less, at 71c frequency already drops by 100MHz.

Solution

wessel.vandenhurk

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
You need to enable and set PBO which can be found in two places but to get full frequency and top benchmark scores temperature has to be controlled to well bellow 70c. You probably have later production date than my 3700x which should give you up to 100MHz better frequency.
As it is, I'm getting 4.398GHz oin one core and over4.2GHz on other cores which scores 5000+ in CB r20 and 4200+ in Passmark Speed test but only if temps stay at 65c or less, at 71c frequency already drops by 100MHz.
I will take a look in my Bios and see what I can find. I did indeed read something about the way Amd Ryzen handles its boost. It’s not like Intel just going for it lol. I could try turning all my fans to 100% just to see if that makes any difference. If so, upgrading my cooling solution is the answer.

wessel.vandenhurk

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
5601 is the one I have now but 5406 wasn't bad at all, only difference is in AGESA code.
Ah okay, thanks for letting me know. I’ll update it anyway just to be sure. Would you say it is my cooling solution holding it back? How would performance be with a stock cooler then? I will give the 100% fan speed a try though.

Ah okay, thanks for letting me know. I’ll update it anyway just to be sure. Would you say it is my cooling solution holding it back? How would performance be with a stock cooler then? I will give the 100% fan speed a try though.
As far as I have seen, OEM cooler is not going to let you have top boost and performance and often lets CPU go to 80c+. One thing about that Wraith cooler, there as Low-High switch on it that limits full rpm. I'm just looking at my never used cooler and it's set to Low.

wessel.vandenhurk

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
As far as I have seen, OEM cooler is not going to let you have top boost and performance and often lets CPU go to 80c+. One thing about that Wraith cooler, there as Low-High switch on it that limits full rpm. I'm just looking at my never used cooler and it's set to Low.
I already had my Gelid Tranquillo laying around from my previous build. It has gotten great reviews for its price. But on the other hand, the 3700x is an 8 core CPU so you do need a beefy cooler to get maximum performance out of it!

wessel.vandenhurk

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
Temperatures are holding you up for ransom, Try enabling negative voltage offset by -0.05 to 0.1v, I can't go over 0.5 but helps temps by few degrees without loosing performance and maybe even gaining some if it lowers temps substantially.
I know added a 0.0825 negative offset en temperatures are hovering around the 78C mark. Performance stays within margin of error. Will think about upgrading my cooling solution to something like a beefy Corsair Aio or maybe even a large air cooler!

wessel.vandenhurk

Commendable
Apr 10, 2018
Temperatures are holding you up for ransom, Try enabling negative voltage offset by -0.05 to 0.1v, I can't go over 0.5 but helps temps by few degrees without loosing performance and maybe even gaining some if it lowers temps substantially.
The previously mentioned temps are at 100% cpu fan speed and 50% for the case fans. I’ve noticed that increasing case gas speed does not do too much for the performance and noice levels are staying bearable this way!

TRENDING THREADS