How hot can Duron be ?

G

I have Duron650@800Mhz now. Chrome Orb is cooling my processor. I've got 51C. How much more can temp go up before it gets dangerously too high ?

G

I have a Duron 650 with the stock cooler, and a 1.725v/3.5v power setting which is running on a 112mhz FSB and a 7.5x multplier (840mhz total), I haven't seen my cpu any warmer than 45C after a it running for a day, playing games, 3D mark 2000 benching, DVD watching... etc. 51C seems alittle warm to me.. especially if you have a Chrome Orb, might want to check and see if it's mounted properly (thermal grease applied correctly?), and/or lower your voltage, if you have it at 1.85v you shouldn't need to go that high... but maybe... depends on your CPU and board I guess.. but try lower and see if it's stable

Duron 650@840 (112*7.5)
256mb Crucial PC133 CAS2 @149mhz CAS2
Abit KT7-RAID mobo

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
most posts i've seen say that lockups start happening around 55c. but that's only hearsay. supposedly they're rated to work up to around 80 or 90c.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

sodium

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I think I read somewhere that 140 degrees farehnheit is where it is dangerous. That translates to 60 degrees C. But if I were you I would not want it any higher than the 51 you have it at now. 800 Mhz is pretty good, don't get too greedy. Because once you find out what too hot is you can't cut it back, when you find out what too hot is on a Duron you have a new keychain.
BTW what is your voltage @? I too have a Duron 650. I just got it running correctly today. I had issues between my new KT7 & my MX300 sound card. So now that I have it running I'm gonna let it go for a week or so before overclocking it. But my voltage is set to the default 1.6 but actually reads out about 1.66 and my duron still runs between 27 and 30 degrees C. Even after heavy usage the highest I've seen it go is 30 degrees. That seems pretty cool especially knowing that it's voltage is closer to 1.7 than it is 1.6. Hmmm, anyway I have a cooler-master DP5-6H51 and from what I've read they perform about the same as orb's or just a little better.

Parachute for sale:
Only used once, never opened... small stain.

G

I run my Duron 650 Mhz@800 at 1.7V. It temp is about 50C right now. However, I'm kind of disappointed. When I was writing my first message to the board, my system was running on 250W power supply. Yesterday, I replaced it with 300W hopping that I'd be able to overclock the processor by another 50 to 100Mhz. However, I failed to do so. I pushed the voltage to 1.8V but processor refused to boot up at 850Mhz. When I tried to do the same at 900Mhz, the processor almost get burned because once I turned on the computer after increasing speed to 900Mhz, the computer started beeping which according to the manual (Asus A7V) meant that the processor was overheated. Now, I do not know what is it that I'm doing wrong. With 250W power supply and with a generic heatsink, I had the same results as with brand new (no name) 300W power supply and Chrome Orb heatsink. Why ? Does quality of power supply really matters here. I run my Duron 650 Mhz@800 at 1.7V. It temp is about 50C right now. However, I'm kind of disappointed. When I was writing my first message to the board, my system was running on 250W power supply. Yesterday, I replaced it with 300W hopping that I'd be able to overclock the processor by another 50 to 100Mhz. However, I failed to do so. I pushed the voltage to 1.8V but processor refused to boot up at 850Mhz. When I tried to do the same at 900Mhz, the processor almost get burned because once I turned on the computer after increasing speed to 900Mhz, the computer started beeping which according to the manual (Asus A7V) meant that the processor was overheated. Now, I do not know what is it that I'm doing wrong. With 250W power supply and with a generic heatsink, I had the same results as with brand new (no name) 300W power supply and Chrome Orb heatsink. Why ? Does the quality of power supply really matters here. I've read posts where people claimed to overclock 600Mhz Duron to 950Mhz!!!!! So why can't I ?

sodium

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Well, maybe 800 is as far as you can go w/ your cpu and a heatsink+fan combo. Remember not all processors are the same. One persons 650 can go to 950 and maybe yours tops out @ 800. It's just luck really, and if you're luck is like mine you probably got the slowest one you can get.

Parachute for sale:
Only used once, never opened... small stain.

G

amd says 85c is melt down spec, ive built many a system and have seen temps from 32c up to 75c. i recommend to keep the cpu under 60c and no higher than 72c. just get a good cheap hsf like the gw fop38 of fop32 , if you want the best get a hedgehog they rock...;o)

Latest posts