How is AMD Athlon II X4 630 and How Does It Compare to Intel?

silentmemories

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
How is the AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz for a processor in a budget computer? Might play some games on medium-low and do some intensive Illustrator/Photoshop work with it.

Also, how do you compare AMD processors to Intel processors? Intel processors are generally straight forward, with naming systems like "Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz" and up so you can easily see if your computer fits under the minimum/recommended specs for a game, but for AMD processor there is all these numbers after Athlon and X4 and this strange "630" number after it. Slightly confused.

Can anyone help me on this subject?

festerovic

Distinguished
Athlon II x4 630 is a capable chip. It is not as good for games as some other chips, but price/performance, it is perfect. If all you wanted to do was play a little games, you could get a athlon II x3 in order to save some money. Right now, any X3 or X4 chips are fine for games. The bottleneck for gaming performance is your video card. If you only had $200 for CPU and graphics card, I would get a cheaper CPU and a more expensive video card for more gaming performance. The X4 chip will be better at running more things at once than the x3 or dual core (x2).

Intel names their chips the same thing, by model number and has for some time now. Yes, you have to decipher the model to get the speed, cache and number of cores, but they share some common threads. Intel is actually much worse, as they don't tell you how many cores/threads they have on a chip. Easiest thing to do is go to newegg and look at the specs of whatever model you are looking for.

If the Intel naming scheme is so straightforward, then for pity's sake explain it to me, because I don't understand it. I take it you haven't been introduced to the new Core i3/i5/i7 series?