[SOLVED] How is this gaming PC for 1440p 144hz gaming? Also some questions and need some suggestions.

May 4, 2020
Hello all. I am creating a Gaming PC for 1440p 144hz gaming and wanted some suggestions.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/32jgHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.14 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($512.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($155.85 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1061.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-05 01:25 EDT-0400

NEW SETUP

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/btW7HB

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($155.85 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: darkFlash Phantom ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Custom: ThreeBulls 2 Pack 4-Pin PWM Fan Splitter Cable, Sleeved Braided Adapter Computer PC Fan Power Extension Cable 1 to 3 Converter for Computer ATX Case 4-Pin/3-Pin Cooling Fan Cable (10.6" 1 to 3) ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1447.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-05 05:13 EDT-0400

I didn't include the case because I'm not sure about that. Also I completely forgot about cooling! So could someone tell me what type of cooling to do and how I can do it efficiently and budgeted. Also can you tell me where I can save some money but keep the same performance? Also I need some suggestions for the monitor, I'm looking for a 27 inch monitor with 1440p 144hz with an IPS display, and it has to be relatively cheap. Also I had a quick question, when do components for computers like these usually go on sale. Is it usually near black friday or cyber monday, or are there other occasions. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
I agree with above that these days you want SSD storage ideally but if you only have budget for 500gb then get a second HDD for now and plan to add more SSD later. 500gb will fill up fast. COD MW is 174GB alone the last time I looked.

I disagree about the stock cooler. It noisy but it cools reasonably well and is good enough to run PBO. I used it for a while and temps even running PBO didn’t go over 80c.

The monitors I recommended are not cheaping out although cheaper than their competitors. Look at the reviews and they come out equally well. They are also certified G-Sync compatible.

For example
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

Verdict
“The LG 27GL850-B is a very good monitor for pretty much any use. It's a...
Yes components do go on sale.

You could find a cheaper AM4 motherboard and lower the price of your build. Also you picked a Mini ITX MB but your PSU is a ATX. If you were trying to build a Mini ITX build I would not get an ATX PSU as it wont fit or wont be enough room. Get a mini ITX PSU.

May 4, 2020
Yes components do go on sale.

You could find a cheaper AM4 motherboard and lower the price of your build. Also you picked a Mini ITX MB but your PSU is a ATX. If you were trying to build a Mini ITX build I would not get an ATX PSU as it wont fit or wont be enough room. Get a mini ITX PSU.
Oh I didn't mean to get a mini ITX MB. Do you have any suggestions for good cheap ATX X570 motherboards but have like built in wifi and bluetooth?

May 4, 2020
Alright I changed things up a bit. Lmk if something is wrong, and if this is better.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/btW7HB

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: darkFlash Phantom ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Custom: ThreeBulls 2 Pack 4-Pin PWM Fan Splitter Cable, Sleeved Braided Adapter Computer PC Fan Power Extension Cable 1 to 3 Converter for Computer ATX Case 4-Pin/3-Pin Cooling Fan Cable (10.6" 1 to 3) ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1447.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-05 05:13 EDT-0400

So I changed to a case which comes with SIX fricking fans included. I won't have to worry about cooling now since CPU comes with stock cooler and all I need now are splitters so that I can do every case. Also, it keeps saying, "The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it. " Please tell me if this matters, and if it does, I'll change my motherboard. I tried a bunch of PSUs and none of them had the "extra 4 pins".

Also please answer my above questions from earlier posts and give suggestions to maybe lower the price. Thanks!

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
don't bother with the hard drive bro just get more SSD space.
get a cheap 2tb hdd for backups or to store games for later moving if you don't want to download. you don't need 8tb for anything. playing games off of it is a waste of time since you will get bottlenecked by that.

27 inch monitor with 1440p 144hz with an IPS display, and it has to be relatively cheap

drop the hdd and invest the extra money into a better monitor if you have to. there is just no reason to have an HDD anymore unless you seriously are storing a LOT of recorded video for a long time. even then the write speeds are so slow for how big content is it's just an overnight task.

cheaping out on monitors is a bad idea. it's not an afterthought. it's what you're staring at all day. treat it like it wants to be stared at ;)

p.s. the stock cooler is usually bad, you should replace that. especially if you want to overclock that 3700x. the 6 fans won't keep your cpu cool, that's what a good cpu cooler is for specifically

p.p.s. components have their best sales on cyber monday. but last year's was a bit underwhelming. just stay on the lookout- now is a somewhat bad time to be looking out for them, since demand is fairly high. things like SSD and RAM discounts are what to look out for, though. never expect a gpu price slash unless it's amd

p.p.p.s. you can go look at the psu's stats page on their website to verify if it actually has those cables. since it's modular pcpartpicker is probably having a hard time knowing what it has because yes it has a 20+4 pin for the mb if it needs it (unlikely)

Last edited:
With a 3700x you don’t need the extra cpu power, it does not have a high power requirement. You would only need that if for example you were trying to overclock a 3950X.

I would not use a slow 5400rpm HDD for main storage, only as a backup drive. If you are going to run a HDD for main storage make it a 7200rpm. As for cpu cooler you can try using the stock cooler, nothing wrong with it but can be a little noisy. The Noctua NH-D14 is a strong air cooler or you can look at Corsair 240mm AIO’s.

For monitors look at the LG 27gl850 or LG 27gl83a. It’s hard to beat these at the moment.

Why are you looking at Black Friday deals? By the time BF comes around we might be recommending different hardware. There is supposed to be a lot of new releases over the next 6 months.

Reactions: Phaaze88
I agree with above that these days you want SSD storage ideally but if you only have budget for 500gb then get a second HDD for now and plan to add more SSD later. 500gb will fill up fast. COD MW is 174GB alone the last time I looked.

I disagree about the stock cooler. It noisy but it cools reasonably well and is good enough to run PBO. I used it for a while and temps even running PBO didn’t go over 80c.

The monitors I recommended are not cheaping out although cheaper than their competitors. Look at the reviews and they come out equally well. They are also certified G-Sync compatible.

For example
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

Verdict
“The LG 27GL850-B is a very good monitor for pretty much any use. It's a great gaming monitor, with outstanding response time and extremely low input lag. It has wide viewing angles, good peak brightness, and good reflection handling, great for office use or watching videos with a few friends. It delivers a decent HDR gaming experience, but it's limited by its low native contrast and poor black uniformity.”

The 83a is the same monitor but without the usb hub https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl83a-b

Last edited:
Solution

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020
Preference probably then, but the HDD he posted was $150 which he could turn into a 1tb ssd and then put 50 into something else

I never use automated OCs but I don't go for AMD so I can give up that point, I hear PBO works fine

Those monitors are great. However, they aren't cheap as he's probably expecting. Not really sure what he is expecting to pay for monitors- either of those two would make up 25% of the overall cost, same as the GPU.
when I hear someone expecting a 'cheap' monitor I expect them to think a magical $200 one will drop into their arms and have wonderful blacks and good gtg response and such unicorns do not exist. Your choices are very realistic, can't criticize and wasn't. also i was editing as i was reading his questions haha not criticizing yours, you made good points

Preference probably then, but the HDD he posted was $150 which he could turn into a 1tb ssd and then put 50 into something else

I never use automated OCs but I don't go for AMD so I can give up that point, I hear PBO works fine

Those monitors are great. However, they aren't cheap as he's probably expecting. Not really sure what he is expecting to pay for monitors- either of those two would make up 25% of the overall cost, same as the GPU.
when I hear someone expecting a 'cheap' monitor I expect them to think a magical $200 one will drop into their arms and have wonderful blacks and good gtg response and such unicorns do not exist. Your choices are very realistic, can't criticize and wasn't. also i was editing as i was reading his questions haha not criticizing yours, you made good points
I suggested those monitors as they are about the cheapest decent quality IPS 1440p 144Hz monitors that I know of. As the OP asked for IPS I hope they have some expectation of cost.

May 4, 2020
don't bother with the hard drive bro just get more SSD space.
get a cheap 2tb hdd for backups or to store games for later moving if you don't want to download. you don't need 8tb for anything. playing games off of it is a waste of time since you will get bottlenecked by that.

drop the hdd and invest the extra money into a better monitor if you have to. there is just no reason to have an HDD anymore unless you seriously are storing a LOT of recorded video for a long time. even then the write speeds are so slow for how big content is it's just an overnight task.

cheaping out on monitors is a bad idea. it's not an afterthought. it's what you're staring at all day. treat it like it wants to be stared at ;)

p.s. the stock cooler is usually bad, you should replace that. especially if you want to overclock that 3700x. the 6 fans won't keep your cpu cool, that's what a good cpu cooler is for specifically

p.p.s. components have their best sales on cyber monday. but last year's was a bit underwhelming. just stay on the lookout- now is a somewhat bad time to be looking out for them, since demand is fairly high. things like SSD and RAM discounts are what to look out for, though. never expect a gpu price slash unless it's amd

p.p.p.s. you can go look at the psu's stats page on their website to verify if it actually has those cables. since it's modular pcpartpicker is probably having a hard time knowing what it has because yes it has a 20+4 pin for the mb if it needs it (unlikely)
With a 3700x you don’t need the extra cpu power, it does not have a high power requirement. You would only need that if for example you were trying to overclock a 3950X.

I would not use a slow 5400rpm HDD for main storage, only as a backup drive. If you are going to run a HDD for main storage make it a 7200rpm. As for cpu cooler you can try using the stock cooler, nothing wrong with it but can be a little noisy. The Noctua NH-D14 is a strong air cooler or you can look at Corsair 240mm AIO’s.

For monitors look at the LG 27gl850 or LG 27gl83a. It’s hard to beat these at the moment.

Why are you looking at Black Friday deals? By the time BF comes around we might be recommending different hardware. There is supposed to be a lot of new releases over the next 6 months.
Okay. I'll look at VA panels. Also, I think I will use the stock cooler, I don't plan to OC and if I do I'll just get another cooler. Also, yeah I'm getting that HDD for the storage of games, and that HDD happened to offer the best amount of money for amount of storage. I'm using that SSD for like Windows and other stuff. Should I get a faster HDD with less space, and use some of that money for like other stuff. Also is there any way I can get the over all build a couple hundred bucks lower? Like so that I won't be losing out on THAT much performance but also save a bunch of money to still be able to game good on 1440p 144hz.

May 4, 2020
Also can you tell me good cases now that I looked into the current case I can see it might not be as good. I want it to come with some good fans. Also same thing applies above, any way i can cut some costs?

May 4, 2020
Cutting costs:
  • B450 motherboard like the tomahawk max
  • Replace your expensive 970 evo with a Crucial P1 (and get rid off that ancient hdd)
  • Change GPU to a 5700 xt
Alright. For the motherboard and ssd how's much am I sacrificing it I get those? Also I love the cost cut on the gpu, but I have heard that some models are extremely bad at temps and noises. Also that the drivers are terrible? Can you tell me if that's changed since?

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Alright. For the motherboard and ssd how's much am I sacrificing it I get those? Also I love the cost cut on the gpu, but I have heard that some models are extremely bad at temps and noises. Also that the drivers are terrible? Can you tell me if that's changed since?
All that I am hearing is that driver support is getting better and better. I got no Radeon Gpu at the moment, but friends of mine have 5700 xts and never got any problem to begin with.
The 5700xt is roughly 20% cheaper and like 5-10 % slower than the 2070s. If I would get one, I would take the Sapphire Pulse. Its near MSRP pricing, performs well, fits most systems.
With the change of motherboard, HDD and SSD you could save 150 $ or get 2 TB ssd storage more than you got now.
For gaming the performance difference is 0 %.

May 4, 2020
All that I am hearing is that driver support is getting better and better. I got no Radeon Gpu at the moment, but friends of mine have 5700 xts and never got any problem to begin with.
The 5700xt is roughly 20% cheaper and like 5-10 % slower than the 2070s. If I would get one, I would take the Sapphire Pulse. Its near MSRP pricing, performs well, fits most systems.
With the change of motherboard, HDD and SSD you could save 150 $ or get 2 TB ssd storage more than you got now.
Thanks! Also any suggestions for a case that has 3-4 quality fans and is relatively cheap?

May 4, 2020

Okay, so I replaced the Samsung SSD for a Crucial P1 1TB SSD, and also removed the pricey HDD and put in a $50 2 tb 7200rpm hdd cuz I still want like atleast that much storage for the games. Also for the b450 max, I heard that it doesn't come with like a bios update so wouldn't that mean I need a different ryzen cpu to get the bios update (which I don't have)... Also as i said, any suggestions for cases that come with like 3-4 quality fans. Thanks