[SOLVED] How long do Cable Modems last?

Icarus RunningGod

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
Our Zoom Modem is 6 years old. It is a modem/wifi router combo that I have a few smart TVs hardwired into the ethernet slots, along with a Linksys AC3200 Tri-Band Smart Wi-Fi Router that we use for the actual Wireless portion.

Lately we have been having Internet connectivity issues. Not sure if it is ISP related or hardware. Does it make sense to replace the oldest chain in the link and see if that helps?

if so, any recommendations?

Solution
Check your provider support list, but I recommend the Arris Surfboard 6190, which is only a modem.

When I started having similar issues 3 or so years back I picked one up and have been very happy with the performance.

Then use your Linksys for routing and wireless radio.
Modem's fault is not the first thing I think of... does it tell you any error rates? getting consistent pings?

6190... I have one, running only 60 mbit and acceptable but tons of negative reviews on Amazon about "Puma defect." reviews maybe old and vendor may had "quietly" fix prob. Just be aware.

Icarus RunningGod

Reputable
Sep 10, 2014
thanks all. for some reason, I didn't get any notifications of responses so apologies for the late acknowledgment. I'm leaning toward replacing my modem as suggested and want to get one with DOCSIS 3.1 for future proofing. I just wonder if that is overkill or not?