[SOLVED] How long do computer last?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sxk1277

Great
Mar 19, 2020
Though online research takings words of random forum users, I discovered

CPU lasts 20-30 years
Hard Drive lasts 4-5 years
Ram 100 years
CPU lasts 20-30 years
Motherboard 10-20 years
Power supply 5-10 years

So it seems if a computer gets old and stop working, as long as you switch hard drive, motherboard and PCU, your computer should just keep going? How to figure out which part is responsible if your computer starts becoming slow?

Last edited:
Solution
Like cell phones have plans, and cars have leases where you always get to have the latest product in your hand at no additional cost, is there a computer membership where your computer always has the latest parts free of charge? I know microsoft launched this for softwares. Google Stadia could also be considered a step in that direction....

Or, unlike car or video games which constantly leave the user unsatisfied, do you think computers are generally fast enough that updates won't necessarily provide a significant difference to the user experience since unlike cars and cell phone, computers aren't on an annual update process, but they come out with a new breakthrough in a technology.
No.
And that doesn't work for phones or...

ankit213506

Great
Feb 24, 2020
Its totally depends upon your use. If you will use heavily it will long last for 5-10 years. But if you will use in a normal way it can go up to around 15 years. But you need maintenance time to time.

sxk1277

Great
Mar 19, 2020
Something else I'm worried about with upgrade of GPU and power supply is cooling. How do I prepare in advance? How to judge if the fan coming with Antec Zen will be good enough for cooling XPS 8700 while gaming?

Apr 10, 2020
Electronic components can cease to function at any time. Hence guarantees which do differ in time. I used to work as a repair technician and also as a design engineer for an electronics company and there seemed to be a great deal of reliability differing from where the components were from. Mechanical aspects as in a Hdd are a different story. If components are generally not taken out of there intended parameters for eg temperatures then most are quite reliable. This pc is over 8 years old and so far so good . Probably should not have said that!

USAFRet

Titan
Like cell phones have plans, and cars have leases where you always get to have the latest product in your hand at no additional cost, is there a computer membership where your computer always has the latest parts free of charge? I know microsoft launched this for softwares. Google Stadia could also be considered a step in that direction....

Or, unlike car or video games which constantly leave the user unsatisfied, do you think computers are generally fast enough that updates won't necessarily provide a significant difference to the user experience since unlike cars and cell phone, computers aren't on an annual update process, but they come out with a new breakthrough in a technology.
No.
And that doesn't work for phones or cars like that.
You don't get new parts on your car (OK, tires, oil, wiper blades), or new parts in your phone.
You get a whole new device.

My current system (specs below) is a 6 year old platform. I may upgrade next year. But except for drives, that will be a total replacement. Not just 'new parts'.

Solution
Aug 8, 2019
That means exactly zero.
I have PC's and components that are over 20 years old and still work.
I've had brand new hard drives die at 5 weeks out of the box (same hard drive that might be in an xbox)

Thats not the point though... why should these companies get away with selling faulty products with coil whine and no refund??? I had 2 psu's from evga and they only lasted me for a year.

USAFRet

Titan
Thats not the point though... why should these companies get away with selling faulty products with coil whine and no refund??? I had 2 psu's from evga and they only lasted me for a year.
Maybe you pushed a substandard component beyond its capabilities.

Are you arguing that all components, sold by any company, should be perfect for all time? That does not exist.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
It really sounds like you made a couple of bad purchasing decisions or handling errors and now you're blaming it on the hardware.

Personally, I've only ever had an HDD fail unreasonably quickly, all other failures to pc components I had were my own fault in some way. Others have shown signs of aging (fans getting louder, USB ports getting bad contact) after years of use. Products that arrived bad were a monitor with a stuck pixel, which I was able to return, and a keyboard that had bad firmware, which I didn't bother to return because I ordered it abroad.

Consoles aren't impervious to failure either. Early versions of the Xbox 360 had issues with cracks in the solder on the GPU's BGA for example. Consoles that were affected by this would be close to irreparable.

The main difference in reliability between PCs and consoles comes from the user. Consoles are assembled in an ESD-safe zone with hardware that is held to some standard. PCs are often built by people who make no effort to take even the minimum of ESD precautions (take your shoes off, don't wear synthetics, try to stay in contact with the case or the floor at all times), with hardware that was made cheaply, because they would rather save as little as $10 than buy decent components.

USAFRet

Titan
Or...
I come home one day long ago.
Find my 11 year old son and two buddies, in the living room, with a plethora of parts across the floor.
3 Gen 1 Xboxes, all differently broken.
They were trying to make one good one out of the three differently broken carcasses.

They succeeded.