Question how long is too long ?

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
I have had my existing PSU since my first gen i7 at a guess I estimate maybe 15+ years ? (yikes) It's the "Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W"

Recently I don't know if it always did this or if it's developed a quirk over time but when moving house I noticed It does not like a "cold boot", if its been completely disconnected from the power for any significant amount of time, it seems to take maybe 30 + seconds of being plugged in with the power switch on the back "on" before pressing the front power will power up the pc.

anyway I don't know if this is related but I was copying files from a mechanical usb HDD to another similar usb drive and in the middle of this my drives crashed, unplugging them didn't fix it but a reboot did

then later that same day I tried to tell my PC to sleep but it never entered the suspended power mode all the lights and fans still spin and the PC went unresponsive.

I am wondering of those could be related to the age of the PSU or not ? should I replace it anyway given it's age?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I am wondering of those could be related to the age of the PSU or not ? should I replace it anyway given it's age?
You can try using another PSU. If the problems remain, then it's more likely something on the motherboard is screwy. That's difficult to confirm though because every other component will have to be eliminated as culprit first.

I have a 3rd gen i5 machine powered by an ageing SeaSonic M12II-620Bronze and so far i have not experienced similar issues. My PSU is probably on the way out. I might replace it or just retire the machine.

If your PC is important to you, buy a new PSU anyway. SeaSonic G12 or be quiet! Pure Power won't cost that much and will add another 5-10 years to it's life.

Reactions: theateam794