Question How long should a restart take after updating chipset drivers?

UnknownError

Prominent
Dec 12, 2021
I am troubleshooting instability with crashes when xmp is enabled. I downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers from Gigabyte, it installed fine but it's been half an hour since I clicked restart and the screen has stayed black. The mouse and keyboard lights also went off however the mouse's one came back on after a few mins. Keyboard still off. The lights and fans are running on the pc but the screen hasn't come on since clicking restart.

Is it meant to take this long or do I need to force a hard restart?

PC part list for reference
PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bmCjsL

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5 ATX AM4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Palit Dual GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
Case: Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 (EU) 650 W 80+ Gold
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Driver yes, I didn't put it on a drive though I just double clicked the installation file after downloading. So I should force this to restart first?
Driver as downloaded is a self archived file, should first unarchive to C: AMD folder and will install from there. That "Driver" also contains drivers for 6-8 parts including chipset. Depending on system and disk speed it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. If it gets stuck for much longer just force restart and BOOT i safe mode. Some times it doesn't find that folder orclashes with Windows drivers already installed. In that case you can uninstall old drivers from windows in Safe Mode from control panel. Programs and features. After BOOTing to...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am troubleshooting instability with crashes when xmp is enabled. I downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers from Gigabyte, it installed fine but it's been half an hour since I clicked restart and the screen has stayed black. The mouse and keyboard lights also went off however the mouse's one came back on after a few mins. Keyboard still off. The lights and fans are running on the pc but the screen hasn't come on since clicking restart.

Is it meant to take this long or do I need to force a hard restart?

PC part list for reference
PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bmCjsL

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AX370-GAMING 5 ATX AM4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Palit Dual GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
Case: Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 (EU) 650 W 80+ Gold
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Driver not BIOS right?

Remove the drive and try to boot into BIOS.

For the memory with that processor you should of set XMP then manually change the speed to 2933.

UnknownError

Prominent
Dec 12, 2021
Driver not BIOS right?

Remove the drive and try to boot into BIOS.

For the memory with that processor you should of set XMP then manually change the speed to 2933.
Driver yes, I didn't put it on a drive though I just double clicked the installation file after downloading. So I should force this to restart first?

Driver as downloaded is a self archived file, should first unarchive to C: AMD folder and will install from there. That "Driver" also contains drivers for 6-8 parts including chipset. Depending on system and disk speed it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. If it gets stuck for much longer just force restart and BOOT i safe mode. Some times it doesn't find that folder orclashes with Windows drivers already installed. In that case you can uninstall old drivers from windows in Safe Mode from control panel. Programs and features. After BOOTing to normal mode they should install properly,
NTW, where did you gget that driver ? Safest place is from AMD direct

Solution

UnknownError

Prominent
Dec 12, 2021
Driver as downloaded is a self archived file, should first unarchive to C: AMD folder and will install from there. That "Driver" also contains drivers for 6-8 parts including chipset. Depending on system and disk speed it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. If it gets stuck for much longer just force restart and BOOT i safe mode. Some times it doesn't find that folder orclashes with Windows drivers already installed. In that case you can uninstall old drivers from windows in Safe Mode from control panel. Programs and features. After BOOTing to normal mode they should install properly,
NTW, where did you gget that driver ? Safest place is from AMD direct
I used the one on gigabytes support page for my mobo: , driver > chipset > [2.07.21.306] (the 2nd latest, I don't have an apu so assumed I didn't need the top one).

After I forced a restart, my pc wouldn't turn on. I've had this issue before and used the backup bios to reflash the first one and it boots again.

Decided to update the bios as well from f21 to f51g as I was meaning to do that to see if it improved my ram stability on xmp. Since then I've enabled xmp and manually reduced it from 30.00 multiplier to 29.33 like Zerk said. Since that I haven't had an issue with crashing (my main problem was with xmp enabled, my pc would bsod specifically in ow2, would always crash mid game of the first match, now it is fine running at 2933mhz).

I haven't touched the chipset drivers since, I'm unsure how to find out if they installed pre-flash or what version I'm on post-flash to see if I should still update them considering my issue is for all intents and purposes, fixed

Latest posts