Question How long this SSD going to last?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hello ..
So i bought a second hand dell i7 from market
Which included a SSD for a cheap price(82 usd)
So i bought it(actually i needed this as my main pc)
Well the SSD they gave me is kinda used as you can see in the picture and has already reached tbw(40tbw limit but reached 61+)
CrystalDiskInfo shows about 1 year used
It shows that previous owner really used it roughly.
Well on the other hand,Hd sentinel application is showing about 572 days remaining and 327 days used approximately..
I was curious if its gonna fail soon and when?
Is that really gonna last 500+ days?i want to know what level i am on? Safe or danger?
Thanks

SSD: https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive

CrystalDiskInfo: https://ibb.co/mCk0PSh

USAFRet

Titan
i think it's more a matter of brands and manufacturers than Raw terminology ...
Corsair's got good SSD's they might show , 100% disk health in disk info software s but they face issues overtime even if they are not used
i got a Corsair and a Japanese brand (plextor)
the japanese one is better
tlc starts to die even if you don't use it , even if it's not on your PC . and laying off somewhere
Then don't promote MLC vs TLC vs QLC as 'this one is better'.

And I wouldn't use a Kingston drive if you paid me.
Simply due to their corporate foolishness in swapping in substandard parts, but using the same overall part number.

Reactions: bniknafs9
Apr 14, 2023
I dont wanna be that guy but....
Maybe just use an external harddrive and make images of your system with acronis or clonezilla and secure your data and settings... then you can wait (maybe until the Martian invade earth) until the ssd quits.
Then you buy a new ssd or hdd and "recover" the data from your created image (hopefully recent) and you are good to go. Philosophically you are in a dilemma that can be fixed easyly this way. Either you stesss yourself about the possibility of a catastrophic failure of your drive or you take counter measures. The counter measures i provided are cheap and reliable.

what do you mean by moving off the hdd?

"moving off"......consider no longer using the drive due to increasing risk. Depends on whether the stuff on it is important to you . Maybe it isn't, in which case do nothing at all.

Reallocated sector count often increases fairly rapidly once it first appears. That would be bad news.

A lot of people would replace the drive right now. Or you can choose to watch it carefully......you have to decide at what point to simply get rid of it and buy another drive.

Hello ..
So i bought a second hand dell i7 from market
Which included a SSD for a cheap price(82 usd)
So i bought it(actually i needed this as my main pc)
Well the SSD they gave me is kinda used as you can see in the picture and has already reached tbw(40tbw limit but reached 61+)
CrystalDiskInfo shows about 1 year used
It shows that previous owner really used it roughly.
Well on the other hand,Hd sentinel application is showing about 572 days remaining and 327 days used approximately..
I was curious if its gonna fail soon and when?
Is that really gonna last 500+ days?i want to know what level i am on? Safe or danger?
Thanks

SSD: https://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/a400-solid-state-drive

CrystalDiskInfo: https://ibb.co/mCk0PSh

I also have an old Kingston 120G SSD, I think you might want to see the SMART data for reference

Screenshot-2023-06-01-110104.png

popatim

Titan
My original SSD, a Patriot Pyro SE 64gb, is about 12 years old and while not used every day anymore since that HTPC was moved to the guest room, I still update monthly and it still works great!

My next one, a Samsung 830 256GB, and almost 10yrs old, is still in use daily; it's in the living room HTPC.

Reactions: lvt