[SOLVED] how long to replace HDD with SSD?

BoodaGazelle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
Just curious. If I take my Dell Inspiron 15 3000 to a qualified IT repair shop, approximately how much time
would it take the tech hands-on to replace my HDD with a new SSD and then reinstall Windows?

Not counting any network download time, I would have guessed not more than a couple (2) of hours.

Is this right?

Thanks,

Bood

Solution
There is no backup or clone involved. Just swap the drive and load Windows. And while I am sure I could have done it, I didn't want to. :)

And I am. not worried about the calendar time.. just how long it would take if they worked on it until done... recognizing that they can multitask while Windows is installing.
They probably have a standard "Shop time" for specific procedures.

Generic Laptop - Remove HDD, install SSD, install Windows - 2 hours
Desktop - Remove HDD, install SSD, install Windows - 1.5 hours
Sony VAIO laptop - Remove HDD, install SSD, install Windows - 2.5 hours
Microsoft Surface - Come back tomorrow

This may also relate to just a standard charge for that procedure.
Just curious. If I take my Dell Inspiron 15 3000 to a qualified IT repair shop, approximately how much time
would it take the tech hands-on to replace my HDD with a new SSD and then reinstall Windows?

Not counting any network download time, I would have guessed not more than a couple (2) of hours.

Is this right?

Thanks,

Bood

You can do it yourself pretty easily at the cost of a SSD and an SAT to USB adapter using cloning software (no reinstall required, the adapter just makes it easier) and then swap the HDD with the new cloned SSD. If you want to try this yourself let us know and I or someone else will provide links for everything you need and the how to's to do it. Again its very simple.

But if you do take it to a shop they should be able to clone the drive as I described and swap it. Depending on how large your drive is and how much you have on it, it can take minutes to hours.

Depends on what you want the tech support to do, and also if the HDD is full of files.

It may take two hours is just
  • Installing the OS over again.
  • No backup of any files required by customer.
But - if you require the technician to both reinstall windows and also to make some backup solution that may or may not involve a new hdd also, that may take longer.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yes, a technician could do it in a couple of hours... IF they didn't have anything else going on. Take a look at the contract and see how long they have to work on it. If it says a couple of hours, then yes. If it says up to three weeks, I wouldn't expect it back any time soon.

-Wolf sends

BoodaGazelle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
There is no backup or clone involved. Just swap the drive and load Windows. And while I am sure I could have done it, I didn't want to. :)

And I am. not worried about the calendar time.. just how long it would take if they worked on it until done... recognizing that they can multitask while Windows is installing.

USAFRet

Titan

Solution

BoodaGazelle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019

THanks... that is what I was looking for... this is an individual, and I want to pay him at least $25 an hour.... he did agree to do this for $50.