[SOLVED] How Long Will i5 9400f last ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2019
so i have built my pc last year with i5 9400 f rtx 2060 and 8 gb ram ... i just wanted to know how many years will my system be good enough for gaming ?? ... just asking this by considering the amount and quality of new cpus arising in the gaming world ... please do reply .. thankyou!

Solution
Imposible to know. It all depends on how the games are writen, how fast is you GPU and at what resolution and details settings you play.

For example "newish" games like Shadow of the Tombraider, Battlefield 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, heck even BF4 and Raiwob Six Siege already shown to have better 1% low FPS on AMD (when compared to the 9th gen and even some of the new 10th gen ones) mainly because of the extra threads. And thats whats define for me how good or not is your gameplay. You could get away with 90FPS AVG with a CPU, but if the 1% low are around 45 ~50 FPS the gameplay experience wont be nice.

In the near future, you can probably upgrade to a Core i7 9700 or even better a i9 9900, thats if you feel the need. In fact I would...
Imposible to know. It all depends on how the games are writen, how fast is you GPU and at what resolution and details settings you play.

For example "newish" games like Shadow of the Tombraider, Battlefield 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, heck even BF4 and Raiwob Six Siege already shown to have better 1% low FPS on AMD (when compared to the 9th gen and even some of the new 10th gen ones) mainly because of the extra threads. And thats whats define for me how good or not is your gameplay. You could get away with 90FPS AVG with a CPU, but if the 1% low are around 45 ~50 FPS the gameplay experience wont be nice.

In the near future, you can probably upgrade to a Core i7 9700 or even better a i9 9900, thats if you feel the need. In fact I would skip the i7 all together since thats another no-HT cpu and you would only get 2 extra cores but no hyperthreading.

Then again it all depends.

Solution
A huge part depends on expectations, if you are only looking for 60fps it should last well but anything more and I expect it will age worse than CPU’s of a higher thread count. We have seen a handful of games already push 6 core/thread CPU’s very hard but that at 100+ FPS. My concern is it will age like the 4 core i5’s have over the last 3-4 years and that is badly compared to the 8 thread i7’s.

Last edited:
so i have built my pc last year with i5 9400 f rtx 2060 and 8 gb ram ... i just wanted to know how many years will my system be good enough for gaming ?? ... just asking this by considering the amount and quality of new cpus arising in the gaming world ... please do reply .. thankyou!
It will last for as long as it does the job for which it was built. Only you can determine when it is time to replace. This might be 2, 5, or even 10 years. The moment it no longer does what it was built to do is the time you replace it.

Reactions: omkar yepre
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS