Question How long would a used 1060 3gb last?

Feb 14, 2019
www.youtube.com
Hello
4 Months ago i bought a ''NEW'' RX 580 4GB and it started giving me graphical errors a few days ago. luckily i took it back and i was offered another one or 60% of my money back. i don't trust that guy so i figured i take the money.
anyway there is a used ASUS Dual Fan 1060 3gb from a friend of mine. he used it was used briefly for 2 years or less. and i was thinking maybe i should buy it. i just need to know:
How long would it last? all i care about is a graphics card with no problems to play games mainly from 2013 and below. PLEASE i need some guidance.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There is absolutely no way to tell with electronics. That and the 1060 3G is probably a downgrade.

It might last another 2 days, 2 months, 2 years, 5 years. Even if we knew the entire history of the GPU, there is no real way to tell.

Bear in mind many new GPUs come with pretty good warranty periods, so you covered for at least that time.

Obviously you'll also want to make sure that your PSU is of adequate quality and power in order to power them.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Hello
4 Months ago i bought a ''NEW'' RX 580 4GB and it started giving me graphical errors a few days ago. luckily i took it back and i was offered another one or 60% of my money back. i don't trust that guy so i figured i take the money.
anyway there is a used ASUS Dual Fan 1060 3gb from a friend of mine. he used it was used briefly for 2 years or less. and i was thinking maybe i should buy it. i just need to know:
How long would it last? all i care about is a graphics card with no problems to play games mainly from 2013 and below. PLEASE i need some guidance.

It is slower than the RX580. Especially in DX12 games. The memory bus is gimped. It's narrower and has slower memory. In fact, even the full 1060 6GB is slower than an RX580 in DX12 games. So 3GB version is really gimped.

I wouldn't pay more than $75-$100 for it. But I'm a cheap bastard. 6GB 1060's can be had for about $200 NEW.

This one is currently at $77 (Case in point) Buy it now dual fans are $95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-NVIDI...526140&hash=item261fa1edb3:g:GzUAAOSwYX9dB79i

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GTX-10...100212&hash=item23bf6e1732:g:zAEAAOSwZyhdCsM5

NEW RX570's are available for $109 after rebates. And that is faster.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-rad...tion=RX570&cm_re=RX570-_-14-125-966-_-Product

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019
www.youtube.com
Can you buy a new RX 570? They go for around $130 new on the low-end.
unfortunately i can only buy from shops at the moments. and with the price i can get from my returned RX 580 - i can only get 1060 3gb or a ''new'' RX 580 4gb. the problem is. i feel like that guy buys those cards from a miner and sells them as ''new'' - i don't trust him. i need a safe choice. i don;t care about downgrades. i need a card to last me a few years on average careful use.

Feb 14, 2019
www.youtube.com
It is slower than the RX580. Especially in DX12 games. The memory bus is gimped. It's narrower and has slower memory. In fact, even the full 1060 6GB is slower than an RX580 in DX12 games. So 3GB version is really gimped.

I wouldn't pay more than $75-$100 for it. But I'm a cheap bastard. 6GB 1060's can be had for about $200 NEW.

This one is currently at $77 (Case in point) Buy it now dual fans are $95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-NVIDI...526140&hash=item261fa1edb3:g:GzUAAOSwYX9dB79i

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GTX-10...100212&hash=item23bf6e1732:g:zAEAAOSwZyhdCsM5

NEW RX570's are available for $109 after rebates. And that is faster.

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-rad...tion=RX570&cm_re=RX570-_-14-125-966-_-Product
i heard that 50 and 60 gtx series are safer and last longer compared to 70 and 80 series. is that true? i need a safe choice.

Feb 14, 2019
www.youtube.com
There is absolutely no way to tell with electronics. That and the 1060 3G is probably a downgrade.

It might last another 2 days, 2 months, 2 years, 5 years. Even if we knew the entire history of the GPU, there is no real way to tell.

Bear in mind many new GPUs come with pretty good warranty periods, so you covered for at least that time.

Obviously you'll also want to make sure that your PSU is of adequate quality and power in order to power them.
thank you. i know that there is no way to tell but i have had real bad luck with graphics cards the past 3 years. that is why i study and calculate every aspect not to be screwed again.

Feb 14, 2019
www.youtube.com
I know it's off topic - but just being wary that if you've had tons of issues with multiple GPUs then potentially something else is causing the problem. Such as the PSU. But that's just a side thought.
i have Zalman 1000Watts. and i read a forum about this but my PSU should give some indications such as: Noises, power surge or sudden shutdown...but i have never noticed anything like that. it's unlikely to be that. unless you can tell me how to make sure. do you have any idea how to?

The memory bus is gimped. It's narrower and has slower memory. In fact, even the full 1060 6GB is slower than an RX580 in DX12 games. So 3GB version is really gimped.

Exactly....

But, honestly speaking, the 3GB GTX 1060 card isn't that much of a weak GPU either. It's actually a cut-down variant of the full GTX 1060 6gb CHIP though (slightly slower in performance, but does the job).

This card is not only having 3GB less of VRAM, but it also has lower SPECS, when you compare it with the proper 6GB variant. Actually, a lot Gamers thought they bought a GTX 1060 GPU, which is having only 3GB less of VRAM. But in reality, both these cards are having different specs.

The 3GB SKU has one disabled SM, which actually reduced the core count by roughly 10%. "They also dropped the processing cores to 1152 CUDA cores (128 cores per SM), alongside 8 fewer TMUs, when you compare it with 1280 CUDA cores featured on the 6GB model."

It's a different product though. NVidia's choice to name the card actually confused some buyers into thinking it's just a GTX 1060 with half the VRAM, which is plainly false.

Reactions: King_V

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What Zalman 1000W specifically? EBT line?

PSU should give some indications such as: Noises, power surge or sudden shutdown
This isn't accurate - a faulting PSU can sometimes show no symptoms at all except GPU malfunctions (because as the GPU draw more power, the PSU then faults at high loads), freezes and stutters (as power fluctuates for example), and sometimes just slowing down the PC under load.

Many PSUs are faulty without creating a sound, or without causing any surges or shutdowns. I've had many instances of users saying their computer freezes or their GPU starts faulting, when it was in fact due to the PSU not being able to give to appropriate power in a sufficient way. And this doesn't just come down to the overall wattage of the PSU, but the 12V rail and the quality of the PSU.

As I said, not saying this is your issue, but just something to consider if you seem to be having a lot of bad luck with GPUs.

Reactions: Vergil.Y
Feb 14, 2019
www.youtube.com
What Zalman 1000W specifically? EBT line?

This isn't accurate - a faulting PSU can sometimes show no symptoms at all except GPU malfunctions (because as the GPU draw more power, the PSU then faults at high loads), freezes and stutters (as power fluctuates for example), and sometimes just slowing down the PC under load.

Many PSUs are faulty without creating a sound, or without causing any surges or shutdowns. I've had many instances of users saying their computer freezes or their GPU starts faulting, when it was in fact due to the PSU not being able to give to appropriate power in a sufficient way. And this doesn't just come down to the overall wattage of the PSU, but the 12V rail and the quality of the PSU.

As I said, not saying this is your issue, but just something to consider if you seem to be having a lot of bad luck with GPUs.
you have raised my suspicions. P.S: i only had bad luck with a used GTX 780 which last me for a year and a half and an RX 580 which he said it was new but i fear it was used for mining. it looked very new but without it's original package. so anyway, there must be a way to test my PSU if it's faulty? and i really thank you for your replies.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
i heard that 50 and 60 gtx series are safer and last longer compared to 70 and 80 series. is that true? i need a safe choice.
Not at all true.

Touching back on the aspect of getting a different video card as mentioned by @MrN1ce9uy , here's RX 570s, both 4 and 8GB, sorted by price.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392&sort=price

4GB versions starting at $109.99 and 8GB versions starting at $139.99.

That would assume you're in the US, though.

Given what you said about only getting from shops, if you don't trust him, I would avoid that particular vendor. ESPECIALLY since he's selling them without the original package. AVOID.

Do you have sources where you can get them new in box, and thus be eligible for the full warranty?

Reactions: Vergil.Y
Feb 14, 2019
www.youtube.com
Not at all true.

Touching back on the aspect of getting a different video card as mentioned by @MrN1ce9uy , here's RX 570s, both 4 and 8GB, sorted by price.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=392&sort=price

4GB versions starting at $109.99 and 8GB versions starting at $139.99.

That would assume you're in the US, though.

Given what you said about only getting from shops, if you don't trust him, I would avoid that particular vendor. ESPECIALLY since he's selling them without the original package. AVOID.

Do you have sources where you can get them new in box, and thus be eligible for the full warranty?
if i want a fully new GPU in my country of that performance with a good warranty. i'll need to add literally the same amount of money i have at the moment. where i'm from they are pretty expensive. my options are limited. if i knew and believed he would provide me with a new RX 580 without any <mod edit>, i would take it in a sec. but i would rather get a cheap GPU than a powerful one with few months to live.

Last edited by a moderator:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
you have raised my suspicions. P.S: i only had bad luck with a used GTX 780 which last me for a year and a half and an RX 580 which he said it was new but i fear it was used for mining. it looked very new but without it's original package. so anyway, there must be a way to test my PSU if it's faulty? and i really thank you for your replies.
If you have been buying used GPUs the whole time (and especially from the same person) then it could well just be that. Obviously buying new would come with no surprises (such as mining as previous usage) and also a full warranty from the manufacturer (not just the seller).

The only real way 100% guaranteed way to test is to replace the PSU and see if the issue still occurs. Outside of that there are some tests, but they aren't necessarily conclusive.

For example you can separate the PSU, power up the PSU (say using paperclip test) then using a multimeter to measure each rail and ensure its giving the correct voltages +/- 5%. But this only tests at idle with no load, and many PSUs can fault at higher loads, so it doesn't capture this.

Also you could use software such as HWInfo to monitor 12V, 3.3V, and 5V rails under load with the same +/- 5% tolerance, if at any point it falls out of this tolerance, it could indicate a faulty PSU, the downfall of this again is it doesn't guarantee the PSU isn't faulty if it meets these tolerances, and the software isn't ALWAYS completely accurate. But I tend to find this is one of the best methods outside of replacing the entire PSU.

Again, just a consideration my friend!

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V and Vergil.Y