How long would this set-up last me? (Future proofing)

MSTRKRFT_LWYR

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
how long would this set-up last and is it worth the money price/quality wise?
INTEL i7 Quad Core @ 4,4 GHz
MSI Z170A Gaming M Mainboard
Water-Cooled
16 GB DDR4 RAM
240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
DVD ReWr
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980TI OC - 6144 mb It costs 2300 euro' s

or would i be better of with the following set-up

INTEL i7 Quad Core @ 4,4 GHz
motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M Mainboard
Water-Cooled
16 GB DDR4 RAM
240GB SSD + 1TB HDD
DVD ReWr
NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X - 12GB it costs 2750 euro's

wich is the most sensible investment here?
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Solution
Probably. You won't know for sure until 2019.

Since Nvidia claims up to 10X performance improvements with Pascal though, I would expect something faster than the 980Ti SLI to become available in single GPU format before 2016 is over.
Between the two, the top build would be the most sensible in terms of performance per dollar.

If you are looking to really future-proof the GPU portion of your rig, wait about a year and get the Pascal GPU that Nvidia is about to release. It's going to cost a lot (like the Titan), but will be the cutting edge of graphics card performance.

In the meantime, the 980ti will be more than enough for gaming as long as you're not planning on using a 4k display.

MSTRKRFT_LWYR

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

With the top set-up would i be able to play latest of course and also future games from between now and 4 years or would it be more sensible to take the top pick and put in another gtx980ti in sli configuration?

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
It depends on resolution...but 1440P, you should be fine with one 980 ti for a number of years. If you sli 980 ti, it will last a very long time 1440P. If you want 4K, I would wait till pascal and arctic islands to see how big the performance jump really is.

Volta in 2018 will be the real deal I think and next year will definitely be a bump but I think it goes more like 1.6-1.7 X performance max for the flagship card and then maybe in 2017, they do a refresh of pascal which will maybe get double performance flagship to flagship 980 ti or titanx but I highly doubt 2x performance is coming next year and if it does, it will be titanx price at least, not $650 USD.

InvalidError

Titan

The way I look at it: they are going from 28nm to 14-16nm, which means up to 4X as many transistors for a given die area. Doubling performance at the higher end (HBM and 512bits GDDR5 models, Titan and 980Ti successors) seems like a fairly reasonable expectation since going "that low" would still enable them to use about half as much die area. The rest of the lineup might see more modest bumps as you said.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

Eventually they will, I'm not saying it wont be possible, I just don't think they are going to do it right off the bat. There's nothing else coming until volta and that's 2018, I think they will go big in 2017 for pascal refresh.

Same with AMD, they're trying to get their performance per watt higher, so they can lower wattage, so I don't think they'll just go big next year ...plus it's a new everything, I don't know about yields for absolute high end will be enough. I could be wrong but if it does, I don't think it's gonna be cheap.

EDIT: I kind of hope I am wrong and they do offer 2x performance for the same price, I wont be mad having wasted it on 980 ti now and would upgrade but I just tend to think realist as far as what a company will do to maximize profit, both amd and nvidia bottom line is to do just that.