How manage files, folders in Win XP Pro?

Pepe

Distinguished
May 1, 2003

Hello,

Perhaps you folks can help. I have used Win 98 SE for about six years.
Just got a notebook with Win XP Pro. Did not know there is a migration
subroutine on XP to move files and settings to another PC. Anyhow, so I got
IntelliMover, used it to move stuff over to the XP notebook. It seemed to
work fine. BUT now on the notebook I have copies of folders,
my documents, my computer, and my shared folders (kept my old desk
top but changed it to W 98 Pro and put it on a LAN). BUT these copies
of folders and files in all these location folders has me in a total fog.

I did manage to reduce the confusion some by eliminating named and
logged users. BUT still this folder and file set up is impossible to work
with.
Can anyone point me to some clear explanations or graphics of the tree
structure and how the folders and files are managed. I did fine with the
simple C drive tree in 98 SE and this really has me stymied.

Again, can you suggest how to manage files and folders in Win XP Pro?
Sincerely thanks,

MadMax

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003

Pepe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Perhaps you folks can help. I have used Win 98 SE for about six years.
> Just got a notebook with Win XP Pro. Did not know there is a migration
> subroutine on XP to move files and settings to another PC. Anyhow, so I got
> IntelliMover, used it to move stuff over to the XP notebook. It seemed to
> work fine. BUT now on the notebook I have copies of folders,
> my documents, my computer, and my shared folders (kept my old desk
> top but changed it to W 98 Pro and put it on a LAN). BUT these copies
> of folders and files in all these location folders has me in a total fog.
>
> I did manage to reduce the confusion some by eliminating named and
> logged users. BUT still this folder and file set up is impossible to work
> with.
> Can anyone point me to some clear explanations or graphics of the tree
> structure and how the folders and files are managed. I did fine with the
> simple C drive tree in 98 SE and this really has me stymied.
>
> Again, can you suggest how to manage files and folders in Win XP Pro?
> Sincerely thanks,

If you change to"classic"desktop it might be easier for you.
Also you can change in "performance"
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: