[SOLVED] How many ATX12v cables do I need?

Nov 29, 2017
Hey there! My current power supply (Chieftec GPE-600S) doesn’t have enough cables for my system. (Pictures of the rig provided down below) A site has told me that I need at least 2 ATX12v 8-pin connectors in my PSU but I can’t understand why. It should be simple; One 8-pin and one 4-pin to the motherboard, two 8-pin PCIe for my graphics card, and that’s it. Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks in advance.

System:
CPU + COOLER: i5 9600k + Corsair Hydro H100X

MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 UD

GPU: ASUS RX Vega 64 ROG Strix

SSD+HDD: 970 EVO 250GB NVMe M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200Rpm

CASE: NZXT H500

you might run into weird issue with a cheap power supply. it's all about probability, lower unit tends to have more issues because of the cost saving measures.

I normally rate psu in three categories, branded psu - 80+ gold and up series. branded psu - budget series, no name brand psu.

personally I don't touch the no name brand, because many are just straight up lying.
500w psu that can only take 200w before it explodes. however, for branded psu - budget series.
there is a huge debate of whether you should buy these branded budget line psu. I mean, they do pass the 80+ certification so their performance are some what adequate.
reliability is in question, and it's very difficult to have a clear answer that yes these are garbage or no they are perfect for the budget.

and when failed, most of them just not booting up and you buy a new power supply, end of the day.
I've gone through lots of "bad"/"lower tier" psu review on newegg/amazon, such as the cx500,evga 500b,CM 550w so far I have not seen a single review mentioning exploding psu. few with malfunction damaging their motherboard/gpu, but similar reviews also exist with high end unit as well.

Personally, I have ran 1080ti off evga 500b, worked fine for 3 month till I changed to a better unit. It's just a risk that you are going to take.
if you understand this risk, and willing to take that risk, then please go ahead a use it. if knowing this makes you uncomfortable, then get a better unit.