Discussion How many GPUs can Nvidia produce per month?

ckelih

Honorable
Jan 25, 2018
I am curious if anyone here could pull out some numbers how many cards the factories of nvidia can even produce vs how high is the demand right now!?
Give that they had enough resources and not a shortage.
Someone has to have some info about that form the past at least.

ckelih

Honorable
Jan 25, 2018
Hmmm ok. 11 million really isnt that much imho. Makes sense that if you have a shortage and lets assume this number gets cut in half or even lower that this will lead to something what we have now. I dont want to be the guy who has to decide how many chips get distributed outside and how many to use for your own cards.
Thinking about it, having the numbers of demands would help more. But for that we would need to know all the orders from each shop. Damn it.
Just an (un)educated guess the demand is probably three times their capacity. Just weird that NO one in that business had the premonition this could happen and lead to a problem. And then lets not forget the scalpers or the bitcoin miners.
I mean its not like they never experiences quite a similar issue with the 2080 back then or with the 1080 back then, already. Almost like they <Mod Edit> up AGAIN, no matter how you see it.
sigh

Last edited by a moderator:
11.5 million is quite a number i think. Back in 2010 i think AMD used to brag they sold over a million 5k series to the market in 6 month time frame. And you think 11 million in a quarter (3 months) isn't that much?

About demand most of them probably due to mining. Because we did not see this kind of shortage before 30 series release although nvidia already did give their warning during Q2 or Q3 earning reports. But back then i see majority of people said that nvidia is talking nonsense. And it might be something that nvidia come up as a lie. And now here were are. We got severe shortage that even used gpu market are affected by it with increasing price.

People probably wondering why nvidia not increasing their production since they probably not being capacity limited at samsung unlike AMD and TSMC. There are lots of speculation but even if nvidia can increase their volume production they probably need to do it carefully to avoid the same mistake they did with pascal before. And back then some shareholders are angry they bring the issue to the court although it end up being dismissed because lack of evidence to support the case. So nvidia probably try not to overproduce their gpu and have them to be heavily discounted later which in the end will affect their profit margin. If that happen it might trigger another lawsuit from shareholders. Gamer might not be happy about it but one thing that nvidia learn during pascal event even when they try to satisfy gamer need first when the <Mod Edit> hits the fan many gamer still bad mouth them and saying they deserve the bad thing that happen to them. So this time they really look company best interest first rather than try to win the heart of ungrateful gamers. This is why we saw the news about nvidia more direct dealings with miners nor did they instruct partners not to sell directly to miners like they did with pascal era. The recent news about one mining farm have 78 RTX3080 in them? The pictures shows that all 78 cards are from the same model instead of mixed of different model. That miner most definitely doing direct deal with that particular AIB to get all 78 of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hmmm ok. 11 million really isnt that much imho. Makes sense that if you have a shortage and lets assume this number gets cut in half or even lower that this will lead to something what we have now. I dont want to be the guy who has to decide how many chips get distributed outside and how many to use for your own cards.
Thinking about it, having the numbers of demands would help more. But for that we would need to know all the orders from each shop. Damn it.
Just an (un)educated guess the demand is probably three times their capacity. Just weird that NO one in that business had the premonition this could happen and lead to a problem. And then lets not forget the scalpers or the bitcoin miners.
I mean its not like they never experiences quite a similar issue with the 2080 back then or with the 1080 back then, already. Almost like they <Mod Edit> up AGAIN, no matter how you see it.
sigh

I'm sorry, but there's a stunning amount of ignorance here. There's a choke point in the supply lines in the short-term, which causes these types of issues, and you can't resolve these types of issues simply by making a choice to produce more. The world semiconductor shortage is real and capacity doesn't just scale up quickly or inexpensively. Nvidia or AMD or Intel doesn't simply enter in X amount of widgets and then click Go.