[SOLVED] How many Powerline adaptors can I get away with?

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
I know Powerline adaptors aren't everyone's cup of tea but I have a pair at home, to allow me to get wired internet on a desktop PC which is at the opposite end of the house to the main router, and it works perfectly for that purpose.

I've also tried using the powerline adaptor elsewhere in the house for other devices (xbox, connecting printer, temporarily setting a router in the garden) and it's worked well. I'm thinking of getting a couple more as it would be useful not to have to move one around the house.

Just wondered if having multiple powerline adaptors in one house/network will impact on wifi speed or any other negative impact?

Cheers

N.B. My current internet speed is usually no higher than 40mbps. Even if we upgraded it's highly unlikely I'd get above 80-100mbps; don't know if that affects anything?

Last edited:
Solution
I know Powerline adaptors aren't everyone's cup of tea but I have a pair at home, to allow me to get wired internet on a desktop PC which is at the opposite end of the house to the main router, and it works perfectly for that purpose.

I've also tried using the powerline adaptor elsewhere in the house for other devices (xbox, connecting printer, temporarily setting a router in the garden) and it's worked well. I'm thinking of getting a couple more as it would be useful not to have to move one around the house.

Just wondered if having multiple powerline adaptors in one house/network will impact on wifi speed or any other negative impact?

Cheers

N.B. My current internet speed is usually no higher than 40mbps. Even if we upgraded...

kanewolf

Titan

Cheers

N.B. My current internet speed is usually no higher than 40mbps. Even if we upgraded it's highly unlikely I'd get above 80-100mbps; don't know if that affects anything?
You should buy one more of exactly the type you have. Then you would have one source and two destinations. That would be the optimal architecture.

Solution
Jul 7, 2020
Tp-link recommend no more than 8 powerline adapters. Get the same type and model for each. If you mix types the network runs at the lowest specification.