Question How many rgb fan connectors can be daisy-chained to an addressable motherboard header?

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
I've just transferred my system into a new case where I have four fans of the same manufacturer with rgb function and a further three intakes which are not rgb and which I'd like to eventually replace with identical fans to the others.

I have these four fans' rgb connectors daisy chained to the same three pin JARGB_V2 header with no apparent detrimental effects with the second JARGB_V2 taken up by the rgb on the aio's pump block. I also have two four pin JRGB headers but I'm certain I can't use those with the same type of connector. I would absolutely prefer not resorting to an additional fan hub controller if neccesary.

"The JARGB_V2 connectors allow you to connect the ARGB Gen2 and the ARGB-based
LED strips. The JARGB_V2 connector supports up to 240 individually addressable RGB
LEDs with maximum power rating of 3A (5V)."

So far. I'm running four rgb devices daisychained into one header. How many more could I add without issues? Not the pwm, just the rgb?

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
Count the LEDs inside the fan. Then you know how many you have per 1 fan. Max is 240 LEDs total, as said on MoBo specs.

Fan RGB software should tell the LED amount per fan. Since else-ways, how could you control the LEDs individually.
I'm googling my fan's led count. Search claims there are six in each fan:

"It boasts enhanced blade efficiency, low turbulence and smooth rifle bearing to optimize system cooling, while six addressable RGB LEDs accent your powerhouse with fantastic lighting which can be synced with Asus Aura, Gigabyte Fusion, and more."

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It would help if you tell us the maker and exact model of your mobo so we can look up its specs. Why? The label you cite includes "V2". Now, that bit is used to label the latest iteration of ARGB systems, BUT it is NOT clear whether YOUR mobo is using it that way. The original ARGB system is significantly different from the new V2 version. It is not clear from your post which you have, so I'll describe both. I will NOT talk about the simpler 4-pin plain RGB system. You are correct that you must NOT try to connect a 3-pin ARGB lighting unit to any 4-pin plain RGB header.

Note that, when I speak of mobo Controllers and Headers, the same applies to third-party Controllers. IF you use an ARGB SPLLTTER that merely connects several strips in parallel to one header, each strip will simply receive the SAME set of signals. IF you use an ARGB HUB, the same applies EXCEPT that a HUB gets power for all its light output ports directly from the PSU, so the POWER limit of a mobo header does NOT apply in this case. Note also that on many mobos and third-part Controllers there may be more than one output header or port. In those cases the makers MAY treat all such outputs are mere duplicates of each other, OR may have each output port use its own separate Controller chip so each port sends out different signals, often with the option to make all the outputs identical or "synchronized".

Original Addressable RGB (aka ARGB) System
This is the system that uses THREE wires and pins / holes in connectors. Those wires consist of two common power lines (+5 VDC and Ground) and a common Digital Control Line. Along any ARGB light strip (or in a fan frame) all the LED's are grouped in Nodes. Each Node contains one each of three LED light sources (Red, Green, Blue) plus a node controller chip. All units draw power from the common power lines. Each Node's controller chip listens to the Digital Control line. The mobo port controller sends out on that line a series of instruction packets, each with an address. Along the line an individual Node controller chip responds only to an address packet with its unique address and does what it is told with its own three LED's. Thus at any one moment every Node group on a strip can be a different colour, and of course the instruction packets can be changed any time to other patterns. In the original ARGB system there is a means for the mobo Controller chip to inquire about the TOTAL number of Nodes in the entire lengthy strip of lights connected to it (whether that is one string or several connected in a daisy chain). On that basis it sets itself up to send out that many different instruction packets in each full set of packets, then repeat. IF you connect two or more strips in parallel to a single ARGB output header, each strip receives exactly the same sets of signals, so each separate strip will do exactly the same as all the others it is grouped with. The limits of the header output typically are twofold: a limit on the total number of LED Nodes (often 240 max) imposed by the addressing limit of the system, and a limit on the max total AMPS of electrical power available. Ideally this might match with that addressing limit allowing for the max amps per LED Node, but that is not always the case.

ARGB V2 System
This is the newest version, and some details are NPT well publicized, so we are left to speculate a bit and some details may NOT be the same from one maker to another. This does use exactly the same wiring and connectors because the difference is solely in the details of the digital instruction packets. One thing is certain. To get this to work competely, you need BOTH the Controller (in the mobo header or thrid party Controller) AND the lighting STRIP (or fan frame) to be of this new design version. An original-version strip plugged into a V2 header cannot be controlled and will not work. For that reason, to simplify introduction of this design in the established market almost all makers offer you an option in its setup configuration. You may set it to use the new V2 system, in which case ALL your light units must also be V2. OR you may set it to use the older Original version, in which case the displays it generates can only be of that versions abilties, but ALL ARGB light strings will work that way.

ARGB V2 differs from the Original design in one important point. No matter how you connect several light strips to a single output port or header (whether in parallel using a Splittter or Hub, or by a daisy-chain arrangement) it can treat EACH light strip separately. The detection and control system has a way to identify each connected light strip as a separate device. The instruction packets sent out contain addresses the identify separately the NODE for the packet AND the LIGHT STRIP that Node is in. Thus not only can each Node of one strip be different at any one moment, but also the pattern of each separate light strip can be different from the pattern of others. For example, if you were to connect three lighting units (strips or fans) to one header or port in an Original ARGB system and have it send out signals for a moving rainbow effect, each seprate light unit would do the same thing, and you'd get three identical moving rainbows. But in a V2 system you could get ONE rainbow stretched over all three light units as if they were one long unit. Or, you could have three different lighting patterns going on at the same time, one on each strip.

The LIMITS of this system are a bit differnet. There still are max limits on the number of LED Nodes you can have on one output, and on the max Amps power load. There also is a limit on the max number of light strips it can handle as separate strips. ONE mobo maker I saw specified its ARGB V2 header can deal with up to FOUR separate lighting units per header. I have not seen clear specs from some others, so I am not sure whether all V2 system use this limit.

OP, you asked the max number of fans you can connect together on ONE lighting header. Certainly you will need to know the COUNT of LED's (nodes) in each fan frame, and the max Amps of power the LIGHTS ONLY in that frame can consume. (NOTE that the lights are separate from the fan motor, so you need the LIGHTS Amps and NOT the amps for the motor!) IF you have the new V2 version of both header and lighting units, then you may be limited to four units per header. But if you are using only the older Original version, that limit will not apply.

Last edited:

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
It would help if you tell us the maker and exact model of your mobo so we can look up its specs. Why? The label you cite includes "V2". Now, that bit is used to label the latest iteration of ARGB systems, BUT it is NOT clear whether YOUR mobo is using it that way. The original ARGB system is significantly different from the new V2 version. It is not clear from your post which you have, so I'll describe both. I will NOT talk about the simpler 4-pin plain RGB system. You are correct that you must NOT try to connect a 3-pin ARGB lighting unit to any 4-pin plain RGB header.

Note that, when I speak of mobo Controllers and Headers, the same applies to third-party Controllers. IF you use an ARGB SPLLTTER that merely connects several strips in parallel to one header, each strip will simply receive the SAME set of signals. IF you use an ARGB HUB, the same applies EXCEPT that a HUB gets power for all its light output ports directly from the PSU, so the POWER limit of a mobo header does NOT apply in this case. Note also that on many mobos and third-part Controllers there may be more than one output header or port. In those cases the makers MAY treat all such outputs are mere duplicates of each other, OR may have each output port use its own separate Controller chip so each port sends out different signals, often with the option to make all the outputs identical or "synchronized".

Original Addressable RGB (aka ARGB) System
This is the system that uses THREE wires and pins / holes in connectors. Those wires consist of two common power lines (+5 VDC and Ground) and a common Digital Control Line. Along any ARGB light strip (or in a fan frame) all the LED's are grouped in Nodes. Each Node contains one each of three LED light sources (Red, Green, Blue) plus a node controller chip. All units draw power from the common power lines. Each Node's controller chip listens to the Digital Control line. The mobo port controller sends out on that line a series of instruction packets, each with an address. Along the line an individual Node controller chip responds only to an address packet with its unique address and does what it is told with its own three LED's. Thus at any one moment every Node group on a strip can be a different colour, and of course the instruction packets can be changed any time to other patterns. In the original ARGB system there is a means for the mobo Controller chip to inquire about the TOTAL number of Nodes in the entire lengthy strip of lights connected to it (whether that is one string or several connected in a daisy chain). On that basis it sets itself up to send out that many different instruction packets in each full set of packets, then repeat. IF you connect two or more strips in parallel to a single ARGB output header, each strip receives exactly the same sets of signals, so each separate strip will do exactly the same as all the others it is grouped with. The limits of the header output typically are twofold: a limit on the total number of LED Nodes (often 240 max) imposed by the addressing limit of the system, and a limit on the max total AMPS of electrical power available. Ideally this might match with that addressing limit allowing for the max amps per LED Node, but that is not always the case.

ARGB V2 System
This is the newest version, and some details are NPT well publicized, so we are left to speculate a bit and some details may NOT be the same from one maker to another. This does use exactly the same wiring and connectors because the difference is solely in the details of the digital instruction packets. One thing is certain. To get this to work competely, you need BOTH the Controller (in the mobo header or thrid party Controller) AND the lighting STRIP (or fan frame) to be of this new design version. An original-version strip plugged into a V2 header cannot be controlled and will not work. For that reason, to simplify introduction of this design in the established market almost all makers offer you an option in its setup configuration. You may set it to use the new V2 system, in which case ALL your light units must also be V2. OR you may set it to use the older Original version, in which case the displays it generates can only be of that versions abilties, but ALL ARGB light strings will work that way.

ARGB V2 differs from the Original design in one important point. No matter how you connect several light strips to a single output port or header (whether in parallel using a Splittter or Hub, or by a daisy-chain arrangement) it can treat EACH light strip separately. The detection and control system has a way to identify each connected light strip as a separate device. The instruction packets sent out contain addresses the identify separately the NODE for the packet AND the LIGHT STRIP that Node is in. Thus not only can each Node of one strip be different at any one moment, but also the pattern of each separate light strip can be different from the pattern of others. For example, if you were to connect three lighting units (strips or fans) to one header or port in an Original ARGB system and have it send out signals for a moving rainbow effect, each seprate light unit would do the same thing, and you'd get three identical moving rainbows. But in a V2 system you could get ONE rainbow stretched over all three light units as if they were one long unit. Or, you could have three different lighting patterns going on at the same time, one on each strip.

The LIMITS of this system are a bit differnet. There still are max limits on the number of LED Nodes you can have on one output, and on the max Amps power load. There also is a limit on the max number of light strips it can handle as separate strips. ONE mobo maker I saw specified its ARGB V2 header can deal with up to FOUR separate lighting units per header. I have not seen clear specs from some others, so I am not sure whether all V2 system use this limit.

OP, you asked the max number of fans you can connect together on ONE lighting header. Certainly you will need to know the COUNT of LED's (nodes) in each fan frame, and the max Amps of power the LIGHTS ONLY in that frame can consume. (NOTE that the lights are separate from the fan motor, so you need the LIGHTS Amps and NOT the amps for the motor!) IF you have the new V2 version of both header and lighting units, then you may be limited to four units per header. But if you are using only the older Original version, that limit will not apply.
My mistake, my system runs off the MSI B760 Tomahawk which has two JARGB_V2s and two older JRPGs. I am running fractal aspect rgb pwms largely due to my access of them. According to my previous quote from the google search they have six nodes in them if I'm getting it right. I also looked at a spare one and confirmed the count. So I have 24 nodes between the four fans I have daisy chained. Add an extra one for whenever I upgrade to a 360 aio and then an additional three for front intake and I'd have eight fans totaling fourty eght nodes. I would probably seperate the aio rgb fans to their own JARGB_V2 since the pump head would no longer be rgb.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The two JARGB V2 headers on your mobo ARE of the new V2 design. However, the Fractal Aspect RGB PWM fans appear NOT to be - they do not claim they are and virtually all that are V2 will say so very clearly. So you would have to configure the mobo headers to use only the older Original design. This is done in the MSI software app Mystic Light. In fact, that system may be set to use the V2 system by default, so you may need to make that change before your lights can work. Maybe you have done this already.

I note in the mobo manual that it recommends you do not try to mix light units of the Original type with any of the V2 type. So in buying your new fans, ensure they do NOT claim to be V2 version of ARGB. Or at the very least you could create two separate groups of lighted fans, one group all Original ARGB on one header, and the other all V2 ARGB on a second header. IF you choose that option you need to check first in Mystic Light whether the two JARGB V2 headers can have this option set differently.

As I said in the prior post, if all your fan lights are Original ARGB then the LED count (or Node count, as some say) total and max amp (Lights Only) total limits apply per header. I note in the specs for the Fractal Aspect RGB PWM fans the LED rated current is 0.30 A per fan, so many fans on one header will be OK - limit being 3.0 A, or ten fans' worth. IF you were to set up one header for V2 lighted fans only you may have to limit that group to four fans - no clear spec on this in the mobo manual.

I'm not clear on the fan count and groups. You say you have 4 fans now and plan to add one for an AIO upgrade plus three front intakes. Among the four now, are TWO of those on the AIO system rad? Then, of course, you have ARGB lights on the pump now connected to the second JARGB V2 header. That would come to eight fans plus one pump requiring ARGB feed. You appear to plan that all eight will be the same fan type and daisy-chained to a single JARGB V2 header, while the pump lights continue on the seocnd header. In terms of max electrical load and LED count this would be quite OK. The Product Sheet for those Fractal Aspect RGB PWM fans does not have any limit specified for how many of these fans can be in one daisy chain. Any such limit would be based on the max CURRENT the whole long chain might use, so we will assume they have allowed for at least ten in their fan wiring, similar to the current limit from the host header. Doing things this way will make all fans exposed to direct viewing from outside synchronized with the same patterns, which may be what you want.

Mlit

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
It's reassuring I can add more nodes to the same daisy chain then. But I would call in question your claim about the compatability of the JARGB V2 with the standard ARGB fans in this example. The fans work perfectly fine off it, no power issues, running some impressive light patterns. My quetion is that if the aspect fans are original three pin ARGB, it seems like a bizzare choice for MSI to supply ARGB connections on the motherboard that are four pin and thus rendering the fan's rgb connection useless but offers a JARPG V2 with the correct set of pins. I am running mystic light as you've suggested so I've probably already set them correctly without knowing it. That actually concerns myself as to my own understanding of the technology.

As for my fan groups, I have a lumen s24 aio with the pump block having an rgb function so I have that connected to the first JARPG V2. I have four fans (including the two that are screwed to the radiator) all daisy chained to the other one though I could have chained them to the pump block's rgb connector, that's symantics. As I'm intending to switch to a different aio at some point, a 360 rad, it'll leave that header free and I'll just connect three rgb fans for the rad into that header. I'm not fussy which set of fans I daisy chain to three front intake rgbs I intend to add later.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My quetion is that if the aspect fans are original three pin ARGB, it seems like a bizzare choice for MSI to supply ARGB connections on the motherboard that are four pin and thus rendering the fan's rgb connection useless but offers a JARPG V2 with the correct set of pins.
The 4-pin RGB headers on your MoBo aren't ARGB headers, they are the standard RGB headers.

The technologies are different between the two and you can't combine them.

On the regular +12V RGB header (4-pin), all LEDs of a primary color (R, G, B) are chained together and act simultaneously depending on the input signal. This makes individual LED addressing impossible.

Pinout:
pin #1 - +12V
pin #2 - G (green color)
pin #3 - R (red color)
pin #4 - B (blue color)

On the +5V RGB header (3-pin), there is LED driver control for each RGB LED package that translates the serial information coming in through the data pin into a specific output for that LED package it is attached to. That method makes single LED addressing possible.

Pinout:
pin #1 - +5V
pin #2 - data
pin #3 - empty (no pin)
pin #4 - ground

Plugging the 3-pin RGB connector to the 4-pin RGB header fries the LEDs since you'd be feeding more than twice the voltage to them (12V vs 5V). And even if the addressable LEDs somehow survive the initial power up, there's no data pin in the 4-pin RGB header to control the LEDs.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Aeacus has explained the JRGB headers above. As pointed out, these are a very different type of lighting design that pre-dates the ARGB system. Your MSI mobo has both types of lighting headers just so the user has a choice of using either type. Partly this was to deal with a rapidly-changing market with both types available. In fact, is is even possible to use both types at the same time with that mobo - you just must NOT try to mix the two types on one header. Most people stick with just one type as you have done. The introduction recently of a V2 version of ARGB makes it three types in some peoples' view because this new one is not fully compatible with the Original ARGB. But they are so very similar that the new system can be configured to work exactly as the older system if you need that, and you do, OP.