News How Microsoft Puts The Squeeze on Windows 11 Up Sizes

Apr 1, 2020
If they really cared they'd make the monthly CUs easily available as an offline installer so people without broadband or unlimited broadband could download them at a public WiFi hotspot and install them on their own.

USAFRet

Titan
If they really cared they'd make the monthly CUs easily available as an offline installer so people without broadband or unlimited broadband could download them at a public WiFi hotspot and install them on their own.
In the Settings for updates, there is an option for 'metered connection'. Been there since Win 10 started

The reason Win 10 Updates happen automatically is due to issues with earlier Windows versions and it being "optional".
Many many problems resulted from that.
Hence...updates get pushed.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

DerKeyser

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
While size matters, think about how MS is KILLING the planet with the way they deliver updates. Every windows computer on the earth spends endless time with one or more cores @ 100% load to do .Net core optimization after updates. If they figured a new way to deliver fully compiled and adapted updates to the different platforms, my guess is we are looking at saving power on a monthly Terra watt scale World wide.

USAFRet

Titan
While size matters, think about how MS is KILLING the planet with the way they deliver updates. Every windows computer on the earth spends endless time with one or more cores @ 100% load to do .Net core optimization after updates. If they figured a new way to deliver fully compiled and adapted updates to the different platforms, my guess is we are looking at saving power on a monthly Terra watt scale World wide.
"endless time" ?

Currently, My Win 10 Pro system (specs below)

CPU @ 36%
2x large Excel files open
2x Firefox instances, with a dozen or so tabs each
2x VMs...1 Win 10 Pro and 1 Linux
File Explorer
Multiple txt files open in Notepad
Video from 2x cameras in the Reolink client
TinyVNC to my HTPC

"endless" ?
hmmmmm...lets not go over the top with hyperbole.

Reactions: valreesio
Apr 1, 2020
In the Settings for updates, there is an option for 'metered connection'. Been there since Win 10 started

The reason Win 10 Updates happen automatically is due to issues with earlier Windows versions and it being "optional".
Many many problems resulted from that.
Hence...updates get pushed.

Yes it is, but it doesn't resolve the problem of people on slow speed and/or data limited connections still having to eventually download them, and there's no easy offline installer that they can download on their phones or laptops on a public WiFi for installation on their desktops. The closest it gets is "download from other PCs on my network" which doesn't work right, never has.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes it is, but it doesn't resolve the problem of people on slow speed and/or data limited connections still having to eventually download them, and there's no easy offline installer that they can download on their phones or laptops on a public WiFi for installation on their desktops. The closest it gets is "download from other PCs on my network" which doesn't work right, never has.
You can pause updates from a week to a month (depending on which Win 10 version)
When you DO have a good connection, do it then.

Downloading on a phone and then transferring to the PC?
You and I might be able to work with that, but the vast majority of users would screw it up.

Apr 1, 2020
You can pause updates from a week to a month (depending on which Win 10 version)
When you DO have a good connection, do it then.

Downloading on a phone and then transferring to the PC?
You and I might be able to work with that, but the vast majority of users would screw it up.

Spoken like someone who has never been on slowspeed or a severely data limited connection.

And no, it's not hard even for a novice to move an offline installer package from a phone or laptop to a desktop.

USAFRet

Titan
Spoken like someone who has never been on slowspeed or a severely data limited connection.

And no, it's not hard even for a novice to move an offline installer package from a phone or laptop to a desktop.
hahahaha...Yes I have.
More than you know.

But whatever...is this an actual problem that needs to be solved?

Download on the phone, because it is faster?
Instead of a convoluted 2 step process, why not tether the PC to the phone and do it (mostly) directly.

Apr 1, 2020
hahahaha...Yes I have.
More than you know.

But whatever...is this an actual problem that needs to be solved?

Download on the phone, because it is faster?
Instead of a convoluted 2 step process, why not tether the PC to the phone and do it (mostly) directly.

Because if you have slowspeed or Viasat/Hughesnet internet at home, then you have no option to use cell internet, so tethering to a phone is not an option.

InvalidError

Titan
In short: Microsoft has re-discovered bindiff as a method of syncing mostly identical binary files.

The baseline load on my i5-11400 is about 6% and 2% of that is Task Manager showing me CPU usage, the rest is 0-2% divided between dozens of background processes.

The reason .NET stuff gets locally re-compiled is to optimize stuff for your specific PC over time instead of picking from 4-5 pre-compiled binaries, none of which may be optimal for your hardware configuration.

Pause or block updates on your PC, write down every patch number that is pending, look up those patches and download them to whatever device you have unlimited internet on, then transfer them to your PC(s) and run them.

There are patch downloader tools like WSUS Offline if you want some help automating at least part of the process.

InvalidError

Titan
Mobile data is usually far more expensive than home broadband and the point of downloading patches to a mobile device is so you can download patches while at a free WiFi shop or possibly at work to install at home later. If you can tether your home PC to your phone which is itself on shop WiFi, may as well buy a WiFi adapter for your PC if it doesn't already have one and connect to shop WiFi as needed for updates.

Apr 1, 2020
Mobile data is usually far more expensive than home broadband and the point of downloading patches to a mobile device is so you can download patches while at a free WiFi shop or possibly at work to install at home later. If you can tether your home PC to your phone which is itself on shop WiFi, may as well buy a WiFi adapter for your PC if it doesn't already have one and connect to shop WiFi as needed for updates.

Here in the USA a home cell internet hotspot is cheaper, faster, and gives more data than Hugesnet and Viasat, with the downside of having to have a decent signal which, sadly, many people, myself included, do not.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
I think you guys are missing the point. He clearly said people with slow Internet speed at home can download on their cell phones at a "public wifi hotspot". You think people should drag out their PCs, drive to a public wifi hotspot, connect their phone to wifi and then tether to PC for windows update and then finally drive back home happily? ¯\(ツ)

Or just download on your phone at a wifi hotspot, when get home just connect phone to PC and copy/paste/transfer the installer package to PC!

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I think you guys are missing the point. He clearly said people with slow Internet speed at home can download on their cell phones at a "public wifi hotspot". You think people should drag out their PCs, drive to a public wifi hotspot, connect their phone to wifi and then tether to PC for windows update and then finally drive back home happily? ¯\(ツ)

Or just download on your phone at a wifi hotspot, when get home just connect phone to PC and copy/paste/transfer the installer package to PC!

Microsoft needs to just make patches mandatory, they are usually small enough and create an "Update Management Tool". You run it, it checks your PC for missing updates and creates a queue. That queue can download the updates from any device and transfer to host via USB or hard drive.

Or simplify, go back to the old Service Pack route, EXCEPT, maybe make monthly service packs so people aren't re-downloading files they already have. Can be downloaded in minutes at a coffee shop or wall walking around the grocery store and installed at home.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
not just smaller but the patch should be autodeleted after next patch, in win10 we still sometime need to erase it manually enormous files.
and hopefully not just first or second patches but all until next win version. because sometimes they started with small and then eventually get into bigger chunk

We also need to be able to set the update to download at lower bandwidth and not run at the same time defender scanning system.
defender also need to scan at minimum capacity. even better if we are gaming the defender and windows update also all others bloatware put on suspend or at minimum only receiving small notifications.

Last edited: