[SOLVED] How much better is a ryzen 5 3600 + rtx 3070 than a ps5?

Oct 6, 2020
This is my first pc build ever and I am just deciding on whether or not it is worth getting a pc or a ps5. How much better would a pc with a ryzen 5 3600 and an rtx 3070 perform when compared to a ps5 in 1080p and1440p resolutions? I am looking for a pc experience that is equivalent or better than a ps5 but the 3070 is quite hefty in price. Perhaps there are gpu's that will be less expensive that can get me the same performance or better than a ps5? I'm just hesitant because buying the 3070 would jack up the price of my pc to $1900 cad and I am trying to save as much money as possible. I have been a console gamer my whole life and i'm afraid that if I buy a high end build, I might not be able to fully appreciate it's power/capabilities because im not familiar with pc gaming even though I want to be. Maybe there are more modest builds that could give me a similar experience and not almost cost $2000 cad. Maybe a 2060 super would be just fine for games like cyberpunk 2077 at 1440p ≥60fps or at the very least 1080p, ≥60 fps? Or maybe if the price of the 2070 super drops that it could be a good choice?

Solution
Look, you cant compare pc to console as 1 to 1.
Consoles are better optimized because they have 1 config. the console with the same cpu and same gpu and same games all the time, while pc needs to run on a million different configs, intel vs amd, nvidia vs amd, different ssds, hard drives, you name it.

A pc can do much more than just game. and while we haven't seen any ps5 benchmarks YET, we suspect that it will be around the level of a ryzen 7 3700X, and an rtx 2060 super/rx 5700 xt, with the aforementioned optimizations making it look more similar to the rtx 2080 super.
Which the 3070 super crushes.

The price of the 2070 will go down, but it depends on how much to see if its worth it.
lets talk us$ then you convert it on your own...
Look, you cant compare pc to console as 1 to 1.
Consoles are better optimized because they have 1 config. the console with the same cpu and same gpu and same games all the time, while pc needs to run on a million different configs, intel vs amd, nvidia vs amd, different ssds, hard drives, you name it.

A pc can do much more than just game. and while we haven't seen any ps5 benchmarks YET, we suspect that it will be around the level of a ryzen 7 3700X, and an rtx 2060 super/rx 5700 xt, with the aforementioned optimizations making it look more similar to the rtx 2080 super.
Which the 3070 super crushes.

The price of the 2070 will go down, but it depends on how much to see if its worth it.
lets talk us$ then you convert it on your own.

The 3070 will be 499$, while the 2070 is 499$ right now.
If the 2070 is below 329$, meaning, 170$ less, I think it will be worth it to get the 2070 instead of the 3070 in terms of value.
meaning if the 2070 drops to, 399$ or so, the 100$ delta will be worth it for the much better 3070.

As for the cpu, ryzen 5000 just got announced and will hit shelves in November. wait if you can, its not a huge deal if not though.
But as for gaming with that cpu, most games are more gpu bottlenecked, especially as you go up in resolution, so at 1440p, a ryzen 5, or anything above won't actually matter much.

Reactions: Taros55
Solution