[SOLVED] How much do you think my PC is worth if I tried to sell?

Apr 13, 2022
Hi Tom's Hardware PC enthusiasts.

I am trying to gauge what my PC would be worth today. I assembled it in 2012 and have since upgraded only the GPU to the GTX 1060 6GB SC in 2017. Just this past February, I replaced the thermal paste.

I'm thinking to price it around $300 (without storage)... it is still in excellent working condition. What do you guys think?

Components:
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 full tower
(2x200mm fans at top, 1x 140mm fan at rear, 1x200mm fan at front)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4gHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
SSD/HD: none
RAM: 12GB (3x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3
CPU cooler: Coolermaster hyper212 w 2x120mm fan
PSU: Corsair HX750 (750watts)
LG CD/DVD drive

Solution
The idea is to get what the market will bear. The market for that system is a novice, not an enthusiast who knows hardware and market trends and doesn't see much value in it. A novice will be more interested in knowing it will turn on and work right away on the things that interest them most so preinstall Windows 10: it doesn't need a license for that but perfectly legal OEM keys can be gotten for pretty cheap to clinch a sale.

Clean it up spiffy, cable manage it like a pro and by all means put a cheap SSD in it and as well some RGB then take pictures of it running in good lighting and list it on eBay or CraigsList starting around $800. It's the RGB that will sell it but emphasize it...
Apr 13, 2022
With that GPU I don't think you are far off the mark. I would probably consider adding something like a small SSD and a HDD for storage and include at least installed OS. In my own dealings that seems to work best for complete systems.

Thanks lol glad to have some confirmation! Yea.. I was thinking if I'm unable to sell- then I will add in the storage and then install an OS. But that would cost a few hundred $$ I thought- OS, like windows 10 for example alone is like $100...

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks lol glad to have some confirmation! Yea.. I was thinking if I'm unable to sell- then I will add in the storage and then install an OS. But that would cost a few hundred $$ I thought- OS, like windows 10 for example alone is like $100...
Put a $50 drive in it, install Linux($0), sell.

Let the new owner figure out his own Windows install and license, or continue with Linux.

Reactions: WillowWay

rwh531

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

I am trying to gauge what my PC would be worth today. I assembled it in 2012 and have since upgraded only the GPU to the GTX 1060 6GB SC in 2017. Just this past February, I replaced the thermal paste.

I'm thinking to price it around $300 (without storage)... it is still in excellent working condition. What do you guys think?

Components:
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 full tower
(2x200mm fans at top, 1x 140mm fan at rear, 1x200mm fan at front)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4gHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC
SSD/HD: none
RAM: 12GB (3x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3
CPU cooler: Coolermaster hyper212 w 2x120mm fan
PSU: Corsair HX750 (750watts)
LG CD/DVD drive

I personally wouldn't buy it for $300 at all as someone who knows his parts I would have to replace the mobo/cpu/ram and add a drive to even make it compatible with windows 11 and thats going to cost a bare minimum of $400 spent on the cheapest of modern replacements. That said if you pop an old 1tb platter drive inside with a fresh install of windows 10 and include an old monitor you might be able to con someone into paying $200-$300

USAFRet

Titan
I personally wouldn't buy it for $300 at all as someone who knows his parts I would have to replace the mobo/cpu/ram and add a drive to even make it compatible with windows 11 and thats going to cost a bare minimum of $400 spent on the cheapest of modern replacements. That said if you pop an old 1tb platter drive inside with a fresh install of windows 10 and include an old monitor you might be able to con someone into paying $200-$300
Win 11 is irrelevant and absolutely not a consideration for this system.

Apr 13, 2022

Thanks for the input but I don't think I'm "con"-ing anybody- the pc has been well-kept and maintained and I have not done any overclocking at all. The GPU itself is worth ~200$ easily.

I agree with USAFRet on the topic of windows 10 vs 11!

Thanks all, I've actually posted my pc and gotten a few honest offers- ended up selling to a guy buying for his little brother without having to put in a random storage!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You're a little behind on the GPU pricing; used prices are crashing quickly. Most of the recent completed auctions on eBay of 1060 6 GB cards are well under $200 (I get a $152 average for last 50 sold) and the ones going for around $200 have tended to be the highest-tier 1060 cards, which the SC is not for EVGA. I would be more conservative about what I expect to get.

The idea is to get what the market will bear. The market for that system is a novice, not an enthusiast who knows hardware and market trends and doesn't see much value in it. A novice will be more interested in knowing it will turn on and work right away on the things that interest them most so preinstall Windows 10: it doesn't need a license for that but perfectly legal OEM keys can be gotten for pretty cheap to clinch a sale.

Clean it up spiffy, cable manage it like a pro and by all means put a cheap SSD in it and as well some RGB then take pictures of it running in good lighting and list it on eBay or CraigsList starting around $800. It's the RGB that will sell it but emphasize it comes with a working GPU. I'm sure you'll get some hits: don't take first offers but be willing to deal. Always answer questions truthfully about it's condition and actual performance but you don't have to be critical. There are lots of similar listings, some asking a lot more for worse. If you don't get any hits drop price a hundred dollars and go again.

If it absolutely won't sell at anything over $300 I'd consider parting it out: sell CPU, GPU, motherboard, memory,etc. in separate listings. You'll probably make more since people shopping for those parts (especially CPU, motherboard, memory) have a need for that specific generation hardware. But it might also take a longer so patience pays.

The idea is simple: make it attractive, price high but sell what it's worth to the buyer. Buyers love thinking they're getting a deal.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 13, 2022
Indeed! My PC always has been well kept and maintained. Pretty OCD about cable management too.

Good advertising also helped in getting a reasonable price :)

PC is sold ! Better that than staying in a box in the garage lol thanks guys