How much is enough for Readyboost ?

Readyboost is really not that helpful, and it is often misunderstood.
It is simple enough. You take a suitably fast usb drive, and allocate up to 4gb of it to ready boost.
Windows will then look for small modules that it can load faster from a usb drive than it can from the underlying hard drive.
A usb drive has minimal access time, but the data transfer time is much longer than from a hard drive.
Vista will create a list of those modules that you use, and pre-load them on to the readyboost drive.

When you need such a module, it will fetch it from the ready boost drive. If the module is updated, it will be written to both places.
If you unplug the usb stick, the official data is still on the hard drive.

It is not that helpful because it improves the fetch time of small modules only, and they already took minimal time.

Still, it doesn't hurt.

It is NOT any kind of a substitute for ram or a paging device.

yousaf465

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Well thanks but I'm using Windows 7, currently on a laptop with these specs 1.6 ghz processor and 512mb ram with 2 Gb of readyboost.

It does give me some advantage, so what what should be the maximum amount of ready boost which I should be using. ?

You'll get the best performance with what the OP/SYS suggests you use from the module for the Ready Boost function.

I would seriously suggest upgrading your laptop to is maximum usable system memory at least 2G, 512mb is barely even running Win7.

Solution

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

How can you even run Windows 7 with 512MB? Doesn't everything take forever to load?

I've got a GB of laptop memory. Want to buy it?

The best solution is to upgrade to 2GB of RAM and then do ReadyBoost on top of that.

I've got 2GB in my laptop right now. I used to have a ReadyBoost SD card in it. When I took it out it seemed to run slower. I'm going to put an 8GB Class 6 card in and see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know.

Check the other forum posts for more input.