How much is my PC worth? Should I sell it and buy a new one or change parts?

Chrixy

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Hello,

I want to know how much my PC is worth. I bought this PC 4 years ago for 2000$. Thanks for those who answers :)

-Operating System:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
-CPU:
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 27 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
-RAM:
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
-Motherboard:
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z97X-SLI-CF (SOCKET 0) 19 °C
-Graphics:
BenQ XL2411Z (1920x1080@60Hz)
BenQ XL2411Z (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (CardExpert Technology) 23 °C
ForceWare version: 388.13
SLI Disabled
-Storage:
465GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 28 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA ) 23 °C
-Optical Drives:
ASUS DRW-24F1ST a
-Audio:
High Definition Audio Device
-Case:
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/trooper/

I also have another question. I want a better PC, so is it better for me to sell this PC and buy a new one, or just change some of the PC-parts? Like if you were me, what would you do? :D

I want my PC to play VR-games on it, and need a better PC to be able to use and play with a VR.

I hope I asked for this in the right place, and If you need more info or something, ask me in the comments. Thanks :D

Regards
Doxrikser

Solution
You could part it out and get more for it than if you sold it altogether, but parting it out would take a while and you might not sell everything.

You didn't mention the power supply.

Altogether I'd take an educated guesstimate of around $700 for everything.

You wouldn't necessarily HAVE to get rid of the your main system. You could upgrade the RAM to 16GB and upgrade the GPU to a GTX 1080 or something and make sure you have a good power supply. Maybe a good cooler for your i7-4770K and overclock to around 4.4GHz and be good to go.

*If you did buy some DDR3 RAM, I'd sell your current 8GB and get a new 2x8GB DDR3 2133 kit.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
So first, maybe a few hundo according to location and market.

As to the next part I would have to ask what you are considering doing with the upgrade? What isn't doing what you want about the current system? Do you like any of the components of the current, like the case? The screens?

If on budget and for 1080 gaming I would likely increase the RAM x2, and get a new GPU. One issue right off being that DDR3 and DDR4 are still pretty close in price when dealing with 8GB sticks, so that money would be better placed on something new IMO. Pretty much everything (else) you have should be workable for a CPU/RAM/MOBO swap....

You could part it out and get more for it than if you sold it altogether, but parting it out would take a while and you might not sell everything.

You didn't mention the power supply.

Altogether I'd take an educated guesstimate of around $700 for everything.

You wouldn't necessarily HAVE to get rid of the your main system. You could upgrade the RAM to 16GB and upgrade the GPU to a GTX 1080 or something and make sure you have a good power supply. Maybe a good cooler for your i7-4770K and overclock to around 4.4GHz and be good to go.

*If you did buy some DDR3 RAM, I'd sell your current 8GB and get a new 2x8GB DDR3 2133 kit.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed...

16GB of RAM, and definitely a new video card. The Haswell i7 cpus are still plenty capable.

And, as mentioned, the PSU should be a high quality one - the GTX 780 does suck 250W of power, and if the PSU was going to have trouble with that, it likely would've been a problem already. BUT - it's best to play it safe when you're getting new, expensive components. What is your PSU? Manufacturer and model.

Chrixy

Commendable
Nov 14, 2018
Punkncat: Ok. I live in Norway, so I bought it here in Norway. With my current system I can't run and play VR games and my PC is lagging a bit when I was hosting a Minecraft Server and played with my friends. I know it was something else too, but I can't remember it right now.

volkgren and King_V: Ok. My power supply is Cooler Master G750M, 750W PSU.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am not a streamer but in reading about indicates that it benefits from high thread count and RAM, especially if playing games at same time. Obviously you need the overhead to run the game well AND run the stream. My bet on your current would be the lack of RAM.

I cannot comment on value in your country.