how much ram is necessary

quintnelson14

Commendable
Oct 17, 2017
I will likely be getting a dual 290x and a i5 7600k. I would like to know if I would see a difference in preformence if I got 16gb vs 8gb. I do not want to spend money on more ram to see no benefit or a small benefit. I amume that the ram will help, but I don't want to buy and have it not do its intended job.

Solution
Honestly, I don't think you would notice that much of a difference. Are you gaming? If you are gaming, I would just go with 16 gb since 8 gb is typically the minimum and games are getting more and more demanding so with 16gb you can future proof a little and maybe see a couple of fps difference between the 2 rams and this is of course assuming same speed on both.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Honestly, I don't think you would notice that much of a difference. Are you gaming? If you are gaming, I would just go with 16 gb since 8 gb is typically the minimum and games are getting more and more demanding so with 16gb you can future proof a little and maybe see a couple of fps difference between the 2 rams and this is of course assuming same speed on both.

Solution

mrmez

Splendid
The resolution you'd run with 2x 290x will likely use more than 8Gb is some games, esp if there are mods.
I'm still on 1080, and 8Gb is fine for un-modded games.

P.s. More ram doesn't give you a 'benefit' it's storage, like a hard drive. Is a 1Tb drive faster than 500Gb? It's a storage thing, you either have enough or too little.