Question How much wattage does a RTX3060 use when not gaming?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I'm building a new HTPC and wondering how much wattage a RTX3060 12GB draws when not gaming? The HTPC is on 24/7 so any excess wattage is a concern, especially as I don't really game, but would be nice to have the option if I wanted to. I actually think a GTX1650 Super would suffice but for the price difference a 3060 is a better choice--unless it uses significantly more power at rest.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS information for the new build.

What other apps etc. are running when not gaming?

What is the requirement that the HTPC (Homer Theater PC) be on 24/7?

Even when apparently not doing anything the GPU still requires wattage and is generating heat.

The wattage question may not have a simple answer.

Google "reduce gpu idle power usage" as starting point for search purposes.

Then as you read and learn revise the search criteria as applicable for your requirements and planned build.

The objective being able to get an overall sense of what must be considered. And perhaps some options/answers that will be directly relevant to your post and concerns.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Update your post to include full hardware specs and OS information for the new build.

What other apps etc. are running when not gaming?

What is the requirement that the HTPC (Homer Theater PC) be on 24/7?

Even when apparently not doing anything the GPU still requires wattage and is generating heat.

The wattage question may not have a simple answer.

Google "reduce gpu idle power usage" as starting point for search purposes.

Then as you read and learn revise the search criteria as applicable for your requirements and planned build.

The objective being able to get an overall sense of what must be considered. And perhaps some options/answers that will be directly relevant to your post and concerns.
This is the build part list (I already have that PSU & case.)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pJdhQP
I did some searching and it looks like might draw around 15w when idle, does that seem about right? (& GTX1650 super 5w.)

This is the build part list (I already have that PSU & case.)
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pJdhQP
I did some searching and it looks like might draw around 15w when idle, does that seem about right? (& GTX1650 super 5w.)
Hey there,

At idle, it's about 13w : https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3060-gaming-x-trio/36.html

But why are you concerned? 13-18w is nothing really.

You can of course use MSI afterburner to set lower power limits, which might work here.

Ralston18

Titan
I do not know about "15w" per se.

Plus I tend to be skeptical of any manufacturer provided specs and likewise cautious about other tests and comparisons.

The TechPowerup testing appears to be fair and professional and I am comfortable with the information/results presented. E.g., the testing details are well described and explained.

Overall then I agee with @Roland Of Gilead - "13-18 watts is nothing really" and in my mind neglible with respect to potential power requirements exceeding 650 or more watts.

The purpose of your build is to play games - correct?

Then base your decisions on power requirements for/during gaming. Not "idle times".

And consider that if you are not going to be gaming or otherwise using the build for lengthyTBD amounts of time then just shut the system down.

Makes the "idle wattage" issue moot.

Also: Read some PSU Reviews - not sure about that PC Picker PSU.....

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I do not know about "15w" per se.

Plus I tend to be skeptical of any manufacturer provided specs and likewise cautious about other tests and comparisons.

The TechPowerup testing appears to be fair and professional and I am comfortable with the information/results presented. E.g., the testing details are well described and explained.

Overall then I agee with @Roland Of Gilead - "13-18 watts is nothing really" and in my mind neglible with respect to potential power requirements exceeding 650 or more watts.

The purpose of your build is to play games - correct?

Then base your decisions on power requirements for/during gaming. Not "idle times".

And consider that if you are not going to be gaming or otherwise using the build for lengthyTBD amounts of time then just shut the system down.

Makes the "idle wattage" issue moot.

Also: Read some PSU Reviews - not sure about that PC Picker PSU.....
Those idle wattage draws are ok by me. I'd read 60w (ai answer.)
I have that CX650 new in box from my last build during pandemic when parts were difficult to get, ended up using a super flower psu and keeping the cx650 as a backup if needed. But I will look into it, and maybe go with something else for my build.