[SOLVED] How much will a 960 bottleneck my system?

jayden_shad

Reputable
Sep 23, 2016
I currently have an i3-3240 with an Asus strix gtx 960 2gb and plan on getting a ryzen 7 3700x, How much will my current gpu bottleneck the system and if its bad enough what should i upgrade to? considering i want a good value yet futureproof system.
Sorry in advance if this doesn't belong in the graphics cards forum

Solution
The GTX 960 won't 'bottleneck' the system at all. You'll just be restricted to running low graphics settings in more recent games.

But do go forward with your plan to upgrade the cpu first, then do the gpu.
Jul 19, 2018
I currently have an i3-3240 with an Asus strix gtx 960 2gb and plan on getting a ryzen 7 3700x, How much will my current gpu bottleneck the system and if its bad enough what should i upgrade to? considering i want a good value yet futureproof system.
Sorry in advance if this doesn't belong in the graphics cards forum

The 960 won't last. 2GB of VRAM can't do much these days. I had to replace my 960 on my previous build with a newer AMD card before I could give it away.

Before you swap the motherboard and CPU, run several video benchmark runs on the current system. Then do the same thing once you swap. If the scores are very similar then you have a bottleneck with the video card. Which you will, the new CPU will be able to handle a lot better card than the 960. If just the CPU swap will help you with gaming speeds those benchmark tests will tell you. I usually just run PassMark, it's a good overall speed test although not as detailed for video card only testing.