How often do you buy video games in a year?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FurryVengence

Proper
Jul 26, 2019
First and foremost I will never argue with someones preference to play on something. If you like to game, game anyway you can that's my mantra. No question console gaming will always be an easier option then that of a PC. Dedicated hardware makes an almost guarantee things will just work. Especially when its designed for a specific purpose.

That being said the majority of PC gamers getting things to just work isn't enough. People to choose to PC game a lot of the time to gain experiences they can't have on console. If it be the controls of a mouse and keyboard, the higher graphical fidelity or just the type of games they play. That being said the barrier of entry to get there is a lot higher and can be difficult and often frustrating. I remember that frustration pushing me to console gaming a few years back.

But Windows on its own should not be enough to drive you away from PC gaming. Many games now work with Linux, with some clever well put together guides you should be able to get many of the popular windows based games working on Linux. That being said it would come with some difficulty. As most of these games were not meant to play on other Operating Systems. But thats also a part of the appeal (for at least some) with pcs, the customization they offer.

Can't help you with your problems with digital based games. Eventually that will be the future. Even your disc based games on console much of the time need to connect to the internet to download missing content to play. To each their own I suppose.

Reactions: Papaija

computer_brilliance

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I tend to buy a few games a year (5-10) and think, unrealistically, that I'll actually have time to play them only to realise very shortly after installing the games that my 3 kids stop me from actually playing the games for any length of time.

This leaves me with the position of having a couple of hundred AAA games that only have a few hours racked up on each of them. It's near soul destroying knowing that they're on my hard drive just waiting to be played.

Anyone else in this position?

King_V

Distinguished
Not to as an extreme of a degree, as I buy far fewer games, and have "almost embargoed" myself from buying any new games until I play the ones I've never touched yet.

But, shortly after I got my Founders Edition GTX 1080 (for MSRP, which was a miracle back during the crypto-craze), I played for a while.

Then I kind of stopped. Joint custody with only one child, but somehow, life kept getting in the way, and I found myself with little time to sit down and play a game.

The few times I did, the only games I played (in order from least amount of time to most) were:
  • Don't Starve
  • Pinball Arcade
  • Heroes of Might and Magic 3
NONE of which, despite the 3840x1600 monitor I have, required much work on the part of my GPU. Hell, I've played both Don't Starve and HoMM3 very easily on my Micro Machine (see sig) . . the former directly off Steam, and the latter via PlayOnLinux.

I just haven't found the time. Until very recently, and even then, I started on Don't Starve again just to test the stability of my son's new PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: computer_brilliance
Nov 26, 2019
I set myself a budget of $10 per week for buying games. In a given month, I'll either have several new little games or I'll buy a AAA game and sit on it a while. My Steam library has really been slacking lately. I only have 400 titles on Steam. :p

Reactions: computer_brilliance

woot

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
once a year i get a bunch of games when steam, epic, origin and other stores have their winter holiday sale, very rarely do i buy games at "release" prices, say no to pirating.

Reactions: bioject

bioject

Reputable
Oct 2, 2016
As a gamer, are you the type that likes to buy lots of games per year or are you the more conservative one who is dedicated to only a few games and only moves to newer titles once you've exhausted all resources out of your old games? Or are you in-between?
I probably average a new game every 3 months. It really depends on what’s out. Typically I won’t buy another game until the game I’ve bought is finished. Because I have so little time as an adult rarely will I buy a game I hate. And usually I’ll wait for the game to go on sale on steam before buying it.

I don’t understand why people buy collectors editions. It’s just junk that collects on a shelf somewhere which also costs more than the initial game. Also don’t understand people who take off work to play a game.

however games like cyberpunk and resident evil 3 I intend to purchase as soon as the games are available. Rarely do I buy games on release but cyberpunk is worth a release date purchase. I’m not even going to look at reviews. Waiting for 50% for red dead redemption 2. Currently playing The new call of duty but that’s for multiplayer and will play that off and on for awhile.

Still also working on the Witcher 3 dlc content.

I tend to buy a few games a year (5-10) and think, unrealistically, that I'll actually have time to play them only to realise very shortly after installing the games that my 3 kids stop me from actually playing the games for any length of time.

This leaves me with the position of having a couple of hundred AAA games that only have a few hours racked up on each of them. It's near soul destroying knowing that they're on my hard drive just waiting to be played.

Anyone else in this position?
LOL, i know the felling. With a steam library just shy of 700 games (696) i have around 50-60 games with more then 1 hour of time on them, the rest i haven't even played. That also doesnt include Orign, EA, blizzard, and any of my older cd/dvd games i ripped to ISO's and have installed.

I literally have 2 6TB drives filled with nothing but games :( Some days it actually hard to play a game, with so many i think i spend more time switching between games only to come full circle and end up playing the first one i started playing.

Anyway, last week i ended up buying 4 games to finish off the company of heroes & company of heroes 2 collection.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts