How quiet should my hard drive be when downloading games?

thephantom4567

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
So, I started downloading Grand Theft Auto V and a few minutes later i could hear a very faint rattle. It seems to last a few seconds at a time and is sporadic. It's not obnoxious or anything but i can hear it every now and then. I stop the download and it seems to stop. I made sure that it wasn't plastic pieces or anything hitting the case of the computer. So is this just because of the download or should i be concerned about this?

Solution
I personally have heard old hard drives making fairly loud grinding sounds as they read data. Usually you can't hear them over system fans. But it's not abnormal for them to make some noise even when they are fairly new.
It does not sound like anything serious, and mechanical hard drives do make a little noise, particularly the older ones.

Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend downloading software to look at the SMART Data which can tell you definitively if there is any issue with the drive. Try Crystal Disk Info if you do not have a favorite already.