How reliable are PCI/PCIe Wifi adapters?

fakesympathy

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018
So I got myself a new desktop for gaming, and I am currently using a wifi-extender to connect to a internet. I moved the extender next to my desktop pc and connected with short Ethernet cable. While I am satisfied with normal usuage (normal web browsing, downloading games on steam, watching youtube, etc.), I don't think it's enough for online gaming. I played both Overwatch and League of legends today, and I was getting constant lag spike of up to 5-600 lag spike and 900-1500 ms, respectively.

Before you say "Use an ethernet cable", let me just say that the pc is in my room upstairs while the router is downstairs in the living room. The long wire will look ugly as hell and none of my family wants to see it. I am fully aware it would be the best way, but it is out of the options.

I am also ruling out USB adapters, as the tiny white one that came with the computer had an atrocious connection and I heard other USB adapters won't have much better connection, even the costly ones (Feel free to correct me on this)

So that turns to PCI wifi adapters, or the ones you directly install on the pc. They seem to be my best choice right now.

How reliable are these guys, and will they fare better than the wifi extender that I have right now? And do I need to spent $80+ for a good PCI adapter?

Also, TP-Link vs Asus?

Well this is what I use on one of my PC's, pretty much the same deal as your situation.

It's rock solid and fast, it's USB 3.0. It's one of the very best on the market.

No matter what you buy, you will have to spend some money to get reliability and speed with wireless.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - USB-AC68 USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($75.94 @ Amazon)
Total: $75.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-01 01:11 EDT-0400

I am also ruling out USB adapters, as the tiny white one that came with the computer had an atrocious connection and I heard other USB adapters won't have much better connection, even the costly ones (Feel free to correct me on this)

Who ever said that was full of crap, completely.

The cheap ones are garbage....

Here is a good PCIe one with an external antenna, you need that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC68 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($84.96 @ Amazon)
Total: $84.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-01 01:23 EDT-0400

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You got to realize it depends on the router as well,but with me the next did good,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qn3RsY/tp-link-wireless-network-card-archert4u
yes usb as well.It does come with a short cable so moving it around is possible and do try that,10cm can make a huge difference.

Powerlines work also good,but depends on the wiring in the house as well.What does it travel by,what state is it in.

fakesympathy

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018

Do you get any lags or high ping while playing online games? Would you recommend pcie over your USB wifi adapter?

fakesympathy

Reputable
Sep 2, 2018

D you think there will be any lag/high ping problem between the floors?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If router has 5ghz band and there's only one floor in between do i not think you have to be worried. Was the same situation with me.Got my full 150mb down and 15mb up that way. Got to say my router and wifi adapter where pretty much above each other because of a lucky layout of my house.

Duplex

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I'm currently using https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bQ8Zxr/asus-wireless-network-card-pceac56 (approx. 1 y/o)

0% packetloss over 5000 pings, and very good signal imo.

I've used many different USB adapters with various results, I won't be buying anymore of those.

I also used Powerline adapters, but those did not meet my expectations on my country's powergrid.. Lot of packetloss and very unstable speeds due to electrical interference.

Edit: If you need better range, 2.4ghz network is preferred. It offers longer range but lower speeds (up to 300Mbps).