How safe is Windows 10 PIN number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyliinez

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I changed my Windows 10 logon to a PIN number instead of a password as I had to start using my Microsoft account password to log in since I synced my account, and its too long to have to keep typing in every time.

My question is how safe is using a PIN number in Windows 10? Surely a 4 digit PIN is more susceptible to a brute force or dictionary attack than a longer, complex password? What security measures are in place to prevent this from happening?

Also, what security feature do you use to log into your account? Does anyone use facial recognition? Which is the best feature in your opinion?

Solution
To the best of my knowledge, the PIN is only used locally. The first time you log onto a machine you must use your full password. Yes, a PIN would be easier to brute force, but if someone has local access to your unit a PIN is the least of your worries. Any Windows login is easily bypassed with a simple command prompt script.

The best password is the one that works best for you. For my mobile devices I use full encryption and a password, for my home system I use a PIN. I do not rely on facial recognition as most of my children are almost identical in appearance and look very similar to me.

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
To the best of my knowledge, the PIN is only used locally. The first time you log onto a machine you must use your full password. Yes, a PIN would be easier to brute force, but if someone has local access to your unit a PIN is the least of your worries. Any Windows login is easily bypassed with a simple command prompt script.

The best password is the one that works best for you. For my mobile devices I use full encryption and a password, for my home system I use a PIN. I do not rely on facial recognition as most of my children are almost identical in appearance and look very similar to me.

Solution

Skyliinez

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
It just had me wondering as Windows isn't the best secure OS in the world, so why make it easier for hackers with a 4 digit PIN? But then again my PC has never been compromised locally in the past with Windows 7, but I also used Bitlocker to secure my data anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.