Question How should I set up my airflow in an H510 case and an AIO Cooler?

Mar 24, 2021
I have an H510 Case w/ a Kraken x53, radiator is in the front of the case pulling air in and the rear two fans are set as exhaust. The hot air over the radiator is heating up my GPU a good amount. The previous setup w/ air I was seeing GPU temps in the low 70s, now GPU temps are hitting the low 80s. I know that isn't going to kill my GPU, but I was wondering if having rear two fans pull air in and the front exhaust air is any better. Most say to have rear fans exhaust air, as air rises. The fan itself has very limited front intake, so I'm not sure how great that is either, maybe better to exhaust air from front and have back intake? Please advise -

Thank you!

definitely not the best case for airflow and radiator positioning.
if you are still within the refund period with the retailer, i would just return it for something better.

if possible, you can try a push\pull setup on the Kraken;
if there is room add 2x 120 or 140mm intakes to the front inside the front panel, have them pushing cool air into the radiator.
and have the radiator's connected fans on the opposite side pulling air through it.
if attempting, just look up the best ways to setup your push\pull configuration.

you could also try just changing out the Kraken's fans for something more powerful.
the Noctua iPPC-3000 offers ~1.5x the air pressure.

I was wondering if having rear two fans pull air in and the front exhaust air is any better.
you normally want more cool air coming in than warm air being exhausted to provide a positive pressure forcing the cooler air over all of your components, but with your setup that may be impossible.
you might as well try all possible configurations to see which works the best.

Mar 24, 2021
definitely not the best case for airflow and radiator positioning.
if you are still within the refund period with the retailer, i would just return it for something better.

if possible, you can try a push\pull setup on the Kraken;
if there is room add 2x 120 or 140mm intakes to the front inside the front panel, have them pushing cool air into the radiator.
and have the radiator's connected fans on the opposite side pulling air through it.
if attempting, just look up the best ways to setup your push\pull configuration.

you could also try just changing out the Kraken's fans for something more powerful.
the Noctua iPPC-3000 offers ~1.5x the air pressure.

you normally want more cool air coming in than warm air being exhausted to provide a positive pressure forcing the cooler air over all of your components, but with your setup that may be impossible.
you might as well try all possible configurations to see which works the best.

Thank you, I appreciate your response

Mar 24, 2021
I found a huge difference between 120mm and 140mm in this case. Adding 2 to the front really made a big difference. The quadro rtx.doesnt get.above 75c, which for a last gen blower is fine, the 1650 sits at like 40c and my cpu is a 3900x, undervolted to 1.1175c and 4000mhz and runs about 60c full out on stock cooler.

A little different scenario I have, as the front fans are pulling hot air from the radiator in, not just front fans and an air cooler for cpu. That's what's causing all the heat in the case. I wanted to try making front fans exhaust and rear fans intake to blow that hotair from the radiator out

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I turned the psu upside down so it doesn't vent into the case.
Umm that's backwards, sorry 🤣, the fan on a psu PULLS air in, exhaust is out the back by the power plug.

It's better fan down in any case, since the pull of that fan will overpower the pull of the gpu fans right above it.

Figure a hairdryer. That's a fan blowing air over a heated filament. It's also in the neighborhood of 1300-1500w. That's Hot. Your cpu is @ 100w±. If the rad is blowing HOT air at 100w, there's something wrong.

The issue with the H510 series isn't a rad in front, it's the same with Any intake fans of any sort. The gpu starves. Don't know why, can't explain the airflow characteristics of that case, suffice to say it's verified. Multiple times. The best setup for that case is exhaust in rear only. That allows the gpu to pull outside air directly from the pci slot area. If you add any front intake whatsoever, you change the air pressure at the gpu and it can't pull that fresh air from the rear and doesn't get much from the front intakes.

Literally stews in its own exhaust.

What I'd do is pop out all those slot covers in the back. Give the gpu a fighting chance at cooler air. I'd also run the rad in push, interior, not pull. That'll use the rad to diffuse the static pressure of the fans and allow lower pressure area at the gpu since that miserable airflow pressure from the pull fan exhaust is no longer aimed towards the gpu.