Question How successful have you been in replacing Android Tablet Batteries - is it worth trying ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I'm wondering how successful/easy it can be to try to replace a battery on an older Android Tablet (ideally a Samsung; but maybe a cheaper/crappier brand)?
Note that I am only interested in Android Tablets (nothing else)!

Does it end up costing too much - or low success rate?
I'd love to hear some examples of cost/time/effort/complexity from your experiences - and whether or not you think it was worth it in the end ?

I've never tried anything like this - however I'm pretty handy and put my computers together myself.

Any advice or tips of things to do/not do ?

Also - is it ever worthwhile paying someone to do this for an older average Samsung Tablet or similar (I would assume not cost effective - but not sure) ?

Thanks for your help

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I have done it for many older tablets. Often replacement battery is less than $20 and it takes only a few minutes once you know how.

Every tablet is different in how it comes apart or if you can even replace the battery. A quick search on YouTube usually gives a video on a specific model. Watch it and decide if you can do that and then buy a battery if you feel you can.

Samsung is known for the battery only lasting a year or 2 so I often get them for free from folks who just buy the new version and move on. Battery is easy n cheap for them, so I replace em and then sell em for cheap.

No name tablets are a different story. I rarely bother with them as they are designed to break n don't survive opening much less trying to put it back together

Samsung tablet is pretty easy, at most the battery is screwed in (unlike their phones where it may be glued to the screen).

Recent Android versions also allow you to limit maximum charge to 80%, which should make the battery last about forever as it will then be good to 2,000 cycles. The manufacturers push the battery too hard to ~4.25v in order to do well in those runtime tests in reviews, but this is only good for ~350 cycles before capacity permanently drops to 70%:
Although_a_higher_charge_voltage_can_increase_capacity,_it_can_shorten_the_Li-ion_batterys_life_cycle_and_decrease_safety.jpg

That's of course starting with a new, genuine battery. Knockoffs can claim any starting capacity they like, plus there are enough lithium fires and recalls even from the big names like Sony and LG to make you wonder about quality control at fly-by-night battery manufacturers.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
considering the new "official" batteries only last a year or 2 at the most, it's not been worth it to pay extra for a new one. the cheap ~$20ish ones i have been buying last the same year or so from my experience.

not saying what you posted is not true, but in my experience it is just not worth the extra money to get the same longevity out of the battery.

this brand has been good to me and i've bought over a dozen of their products for various samsung tablets.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Hello

I'm wondering how successful/easy it can be to try to replace a battery on an older Android Tablet (ideally a Samsung; but maybe a cheaper/crappier brand)?
Note that I am only interested in Android Tablets (nothing else)!

Does it end up costing too much - or low success rate?
I'd love to hear some examples of cost/time/effort/complexity from your experiences - and whether or not you think it was worth it in the end ?

I've never tried anything like this - however I'm pretty handy and put my computers together myself.

Any advice or tips of things to do/not do ?

Also - is it ever worthwhile paying someone to do this for an older average Samsung Tablet or similar (I would assume not cost effective - but not sure) ?

Thanks for your help

I've never replaced one myself, but I've paid someone else to do it for me twice. The tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S (the very first Tab S, the original one). First changed the battery around 2016 because it kept restarting on its own (a well known issue), and later two years later either in 2018 or 2019. Paid around $300 each time, and while the guy mentioned he used original batteries, I honestly wasn't sure about that. Only took an hour for the process to be done, start to finish.

Still using the tablet right now, the battery already deteriorated to the point of lasting an hour or so, but it's so old I simply don't have the will anymore to replace it yet again. It's almost a decade old at this point, I'll just run it to the ground by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS