[SOLVED] How terrible is the bottleneck for Intel i5-7400 paired with RTX 2060?

Fury4N

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
Goals: 1080p with 144hz refresh rate gaming
Games: E-sports titles like Dota2, CS:GO, Rainbox Six and Apex Legends (not so much on AAA games and none on VR)
Display settings on games: (Optimized)

Current computer specs:
- CPU:
Intel i5-7400
- Cooler: Corsair H55 AIO
- Mobo: MSI B250M Mortar
- GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 470 4GB
- RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 1x8GB 2400 mhz
- PSU: Silverstone SST-ET550-B Essential 550W 80+ bronze
- Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
- Case: NZXT S340
- Monitor: AOC G2460VQ6 24” 1080p 75hz 1ms Freesync

Priorities:
  • Upgrade my ram to 16GB (2x8)
  • Upgrade my GPU to RTX 2060
  • Upgrade my monitor to ASUS VG258Q

Future upgrades:
  • Upgrade CPU
  • Upgrade to SSD

I don't have much budget on my disposal. I can only upgrade components one at a time. I need your thoughts/opinions on what should I prioritize.
Thank you very much :)

Solution
Honestly the bottleneck depends on the game. In general there shouldn't be much of one and it would be a healthy upgrade in performance. The RTX 2060 is a little more powerful than the GTX 1070 was and an i5/1070 build was pretty common for last gen's cards. So, an upgrade to an RTX 2060 makes sense.
This would be true for AAA titles because those are very graphics heavy,the OP is talking esport with optimized settings.
Clockspeed is everything for esport and high FPS,I would go for a good mobo and an unlocked CPU first or at least a locked CPU with the highest possible clocks for the current mobo,the GPU is fine especially if you don't care much about high quality settings.
Honestly the bottleneck depends on the game. In general there shouldn't be much of one and it would be a healthy upgrade in performance. The RTX 2060 is a little more powerful than the GTX 1070 was and an i5/1070 build was pretty common for last gen's cards. So, an upgrade to an RTX 2060 makes sense.

Although, that SSD upgrade would also be very nice for you. It isn't like you are lacking graphics power with that RX 470. It is still a fairly respectable card. A solid SSD will REALLY increase boot times and game loads. Also, now is a pretty good time to get an SSD. Prices are nice and low with 500 GB drives from respectable makers being in the $70 range.

If I were you I'd swap the SSD and RAM upgrade in priorities. I went from 8 GB to 16 GB on my i5 4590 (with an RX 470 too) and it didn't make much of a difference. 16 GB of RAM will be nice in the future, but here and now it hasn't done much for me.

I agree with a later CPU upgrade as well. The 4 core i5 is still a good CPU and doesn't have problems playing games, so you can probably stick with it for another year or two.

Your monitor upgrade is a "whenever you can get around to it but sooner is better than later" kind of deal. Even if you get it before you get a new graphics card it will still be nice to have. So you can really get it any time.

Hopefully that helps your upgrade decisions a bit. Although I might have made a few things a little more foggy.

Reactions: Fury4N
This would be true for AAA titles because those are very graphics heavy,the OP is talking esport with optimized settings.
Clockspeed is everything for esport and high FPS,I would go for a good mobo and an unlocked CPU first or at least a locked CPU with the highest possible clocks for the current mobo,the GPU is fine especially if you don't care much about high quality settings.

Solution

Fury4N

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017

Although, that SSD upgrade would also be very nice for you. It isn't like you are lacking graphics power with that RX 470. It is still a fairly respectable card. A solid SSD will REALLY increase boot times and game loads. Also, now is a pretty good time to get an SSD. Prices are nice and low with 500 GB drives from respectable makers being in the $70 range.

If I were you I'd swap the SSD and RAM upgrade in priorities. I went from 8 GB to 16 GB on my i5 4590 (with an RX 470 too) and it didn't make much of a difference. 16 GB of RAM will be nice in the future, but here and now it hasn't done much for me.

I agree with a later CPU upgrade as well. The 4 core i5 is still a good CPU and doesn't have problems playing games, so you can probably stick with it for another year or two.

Your monitor upgrade is a "whenever you can get around to it but sooner is better than later" kind of deal. Even if you get it before you get a new graphics card it will still be nice to have. So you can really get it any time.

Hopefully that helps your upgrade decisions a bit. Although I might have made a few things a little more foggy.
I do agree that I should prioritize upgrading to SSD. I posted to other forums for 2nd opinions and they also suggested to get a SSD first. If i want to get a significant performance upgrade, they suggested that i should upgrade my CPU, Mobo and GPU at the same time.

I'm gonna hold on with my current setup but I'm upgrading it to SSD real soon. I'm gonna save some money and upgrade CPU, Mobo and GPU at the same time.

Thank you very much dude :)

Fury4N

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
Will a Ryzen 2600, 16GB(2x8) 3000-3200mhz RAM and RTX 2060 a good combination for 1080p 144hz gaming? Considering also that i always play in optimized settings and not on high/ultra.

Will a Ryzen 2600, 16GB(2x8) 3000-3200mhz RAM and RTX 2060 a good combination for 1080p 144hz gaming? Considering also that i always play in optimized settings and not on high/ultra.
It's going to be ok for avg and max fps but min fps in certain conditions will be quite a bit below 144.
For best minimum FPS you can get away with just 4 cores but you will need the highest clocked intel cores you can get.

Fury4N

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
It's going to be ok for avg and max fps but min fps in certain conditions will be quite a bit below 144.
For best minimum FPS you can get away with just 4 cores but you will need the highest clocked intel cores you can get.

I will gonna increase my budget to achieve my goals.
Thank you very much for the information :)

TRENDING THREADS