Question how to access apps and files from HDD after installing new SSD with OS?

Jul 13, 2024
I just got an SSD with Windows OS installed on it (So I have Windows both on my SSD and HDD).

And I'm confused with some of stuff abt SSD and HDD.

1) How to know which Windows OS that I'm currently running? SSD or HDD? (I'm guessing that my laptop OS is now running from the OS that I install on SSD since all of my old files and apps are missing and my laptop looks like I complete brand new-installed laptop)

2) If the OS that running is from the OS that install on SSD, can I still switch back to the OS that I install on HDD?

3) How to access all of my stuff (files and apps) from the HDD?

Guessing that my laptop is now running Windows OS from SSD, I tried to access D: drive (HDD) and found all of my files are there. When I tried to open one of my user account folder (I have multiple user on my Windows that is installed on HDD), it said something like "I have no permission. Click continue if I want to be given permission to access" and it's just loading, and it would stop loading if I click on something else.

4) Should I just wait? But it seems like it does nothing or is there any way so that I can I access my user acc folder?

And when I open the D: drive, I also found some folder of the apps that I have installed before. But, all the apps are gone from the desktop and I could not find it. I'm assuming it's bcs the apps is install on the HDD (?).

5) How to move the apps that I already install on HDD to SSD? I actually don't mind to just re-install apps on my SSD since I don't have that much apps, but if so, then, how to uninstall apps from the HDD?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You can go into BIOS and see which one shows up next to Windows Boot Manager: in your Boot Menu/Devices. As for your query about the apps, you should manually install apps you're using for your OS on the new drive. You could also merely clone the original drives OS and then migrate it over to the SSD instead of having two OSes to work with(saves you the confusion.

If you installed the OS onto the SSD while having the OS on the HDD, I would advise that you remove your SSD, then backup all mission critical data off of the HDD, power down, reconnect the SSD, delete all partitions off of the HDD and SSD, then install the OS onto the SSD. That way your OS is on the SSD.

This is how I would've done the OS install on a laptop if I was given it.

USAFRet

Titan
Did you install the OS on the new SSD, or was it on there already?
If 'already', that is a bad idea.

You should really only have ONE OS in this system.
Applications on the old HDD OS? Null and void.

Files?
That may or may not be a problem. THings located in the default "Libraries" are permission locked to the old user, in the old system.

These problems could have been prevented with a little prep before starting this.