[SOLVED] How to access harddrive/CCTV via 4g without home router?

Apr 18, 2020
Hi.

I am about to buy CCTV for my home. It's quite confusing to understand the set up but from what I've gathered. I need a harddrive with a channel for the camera, and software on the haddrive to run the camera, I then connect the camera into the hard drive and I also need to connect that harddive to a tv or monitor to be able to see the recording?

My first question, can I connect the harddrive to a normal tv and switch between tv and the CCTV, or does the TV/monitor need to be dedicated to the CCTV?

More importantly how can I connect my Iphone or Laptop to the harddrive without a router. When I checked on their website it says I need to have home broadband, and plug the harddrive in to my router.

The problem is I don't have home broadband.
I would like to be able to see the CCTV from my Iphone, can this be done over data/4g instead of requiring a router?

Thanks

Solution
Hi.

I am about to buy CCTV for my home. It's quite confusing to understand the set up but from what I've gathered. I need a harddrive with a channel for the camera, and software on the haddrive to run the camera, I then connect the camera into the hard drive and I also need to connect that harddive to a tv or monitor to be able to see the recording?

My first question, can I connect the harddrive to a normal tv and switch between tv and the CCTV, or does the TV/monitor need to be dedicated to the CCTV?

More importantly how can I connect my Iphone or Laptop to the harddrive without a router. When I checked on their website it says I need to have home broadband, and plug the harddrive in to my router.

The problem is I don't have...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi.

The problem is I don't have home broadband.
I would like to be able to see the CCTV from my Iphone, can this be done over data/4g instead of requiring a router?

Thanks
There are two basic types of cameras available. One uses coax to connect the camera to a recorder. The other uses ethernet networking to connect the camera.
Additionally, the cameras need power. Coax connected cameras use a separate DC power cord. Ethernet connected cameras have three options. Wired ethernet can use power over ethernet (POE), or a separate power cord. WIFI connected cameras can use a power cord or some have battery power.
Once you decide which type of camera you a going to use, then you get something to record onto. Coax cameras bring all the cables back to a central recorder for signal an power. Ethernet cameras can use a dedicated network recorder, a PC running software, or a network storage device (NAS) running software.
Even if you don't have internet service, you probably want a router of some kind. That router would provide the WIFI required to connect your phone to network video recorder (NVR).
If you have an example of the cameras or camera system you have or are buying, then more specific info could be provided.

Solution
Apr 18, 2020
There are two basic types of cameras available. One uses coax to connect the camera to a recorder. The other uses ethernet networking to connect the camera.
Additionally, the cameras need power. Coax connected cameras use a separate DC power cord. Ethernet connected cameras have three options. Wired ethernet can use power over ethernet (POE), or a separate power cord. WIFI connected cameras can use a power cord or some have battery power.
Once you decide which type of camera you a going to use, then you get something to record onto. Coax cameras bring all the cables back to a central recorder for signal an power. Ethernet cameras can use a dedicated network recorder, a PC running software, or a network storage device (NAS) running software.
Even if you don't have internet service, you probably want a router of some kind. That router would provide the WIFI required to connect your phone to network video recorder (NVR).
If you have an example of the cameras or camera system you have or are buying, then more specific info could be provided.
Hi Kanewolf. Thank you for your indepth explaination. I didnt even realise there was two different types. I am still looking for kit I will get but from asking 3 providers they all gave the same response in my post above about needing a router.

I have just checked one of the providers and they said the cameras use a coaxial cable running to a DVR.

Right, I didn't know about a router not needing an ISP. So if I buy a router, even though I do not have broadband, I can connect to that router and forward to my laptop or mobile device if in range?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi Kanewolf. Thank you for your indepth explaination. I didnt even realise there was two different types. I am still looking for kit I will get but from asking 3 providers they all gave the same response in my post above about needing a router.

I have just checked one of the providers and they said the cameras use a coaxial cable running to a DVR.

Right, I didn't know about a router not needing an ISP. So if I buy a router, even though I do not have broadband, I can connect to that router and forward to my laptop or mobile device if in range?
A router could allow you to access the NVR from your phone via WIFI while at the house. Without internet access for the house, you won't be able to access the NVR from your phone on cellular connection.