How to Activate GodMode in Windows 7

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]mitch074[/nom]...And people complain that the Linux command line is hard.It sure is harder to do vim /etc/fstabthan Godmode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}Latter is much more intuitive. Indeed.[/sarcasm]still, damn useful trick.[/citation]

Yeah, but [Right-Click] - [Delete] is much easier to do that [Open Command Terminal] - [cd to file's directory] - [Type sudo rm blah blah blah case-sensitive blah blah] just to remove a stubborn file from your home directory. Yes, this has happened. After fighting with it for a while and asking for help on the ubuntu forums, I just reformatted.

Much easier, I agree [/sarcasm].

Don't start stupid OS battles. It's just like politics. People have their ways and more often than not, most ways are not the best.

cua8er

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
i tried this on vista 64 on my desktop....next thing, explorer crashes over and over again, i restore to previous windows update before the "GodMode attempt" but explorer still crashes continiously. eventually fixed by going into command prompt and renaming the file then deleting....2 hours wasted!!!

libraryeli

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Yeah, but [Right-Click] - [Delete] is much easier to do that [Open Command Terminal] - [cd to file's directory] - [Type sudo rm blah blah blah case-sensitive blah blah] just to remove a stubborn file from your home directory. Yes, this has happened. After fighting with it for a while and asking for help on the ubuntu forums, I just reformatted.Much easier, I agree [/sarcasm].Don't start stupid OS battles. It's just like politics. People have their ways and more often than not, most ways are not the best.[/citation]
Are you serious???? Hold on a minute, I'm going to go to a file in my home directory and see if I can delete it with a right-click... WOW! it worked! What do ya know, in Ubuntu I can right-click and delete a file. I can also select it, and hit [SHIFT]+DELETE] to bypass the Trash, and delete it permanently. If you had to re-install the OS because of this... wow man, just... wow.

randomizer

Champion
You're arguing using personal experience as some form of objective evidence to say that one OS is superior to another (or to attack that view). I hope you realise that doing so will get you nowhere.

libraryeli

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]You're arguing using personal experience as some form of objective evidence to say that one OS is superior to another (or to attack that view). I hope you realise that doing so will get you nowhere.[/citation]
If you mean me, well, I'm not too concerned about getting anywhere really. I just wanted to point out the ridiculous nature of that statement. Also, it's not just my own experience, I know of tons of people who have no problem at all deleting files with a right click in Ubuntu. Many of whom are not any more skilled than an average end user, but they seem to have no problem with that simple task.

I'll also mention that I've never encountered a file that I couldn't get rid of with the appropriate rm command on the command line.

It just seems like whenever someone suggest linux as an alternative to windows, that someone makes some post about how something that should be so simple is so complex in linux. Well, if you have trouble deleting a file from any home directory on your machine that has Ubuntu linux installed, then I'm pretty sure you're part of the reason why MS made "godmode" so hard to find. Who knows what havoc someone like that might wreak. Deleting files... HAH

G

It actually crashes Vista 64 bit. You have to create a new account and login there and change the name of your existing account.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]libraryeli[/nom]Well, if you have trouble deleting a file from any home directory on your machine that has Ubuntu linux installed, then I'm pretty sure you're part of the reason why MS made "godmode" so hard to find. Who knows what havoc someone like that might wreak. Deleting files... HAH[/citation]
Couldn't agree more :) The only time I've had issues deleting files is when they are owned by root. But that is a minor inconvenience and as far as security goes it's a good thing. What I like about Linux Mint is that it comes with an "Open as root" context menu option in Nautilus out of the box so it's even easier to deal with than Ubuntu.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Now if there are USER controls on making Windows Explorer better in Windows7?

You know, so that it ACTUALLY shows how big the files are as you selection and more info - that is Always displayed, like in WindowsXP? or when transferring files, it would be nice if the OS (win7) would simply keep it like the last time.. more details or not. Or the ability to hit hold CTRL and select certain files in size view, then click Date view and the selection HOLDS... yeah, that would be nice since THAT ability has been around since Win95~WinXP!

G

"I think the reason that this was not out and easy to get to is because the majority of people tend to not know what they are doing, so the last think MS wanted to do was make it so the user can potently screw things up. So having this activated by a special means puts the power in the hands of the ones who know how to use it or have the common sense to know how to use it."

If true, then with that kind of arrogance, Billy Gates should run as a Democrat for the Senate in Massachusetts. Do what I say, not what I do, and Mama-Gates will take care of you? Maybe put you in a plastic bubble so you don't hurt yourself?

How about they just explain what their product actually DOES and then show you how to do it?

Is that asking too much?

G

Not sure why something as useful as this isn't just in control panel as standard rather than changing the names of everything and moving the menus around for no good reason, or maybe they would have nothing new to put on the MCSE course if they did?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]How about a code to get Vista/Win7/Server2008 to not take up 15GB after a service pack update?[/citation]
Type "compcln" into the Start Menu's search box and press enter

G

This worked for me in Vista, but the truth is, Vista didn't work for me.

G

I have a problem with the name "GodMode". While computer folks tend to think they are gods, because they control an inanimate object (a computer), we aren't.

Cool tool, but not cool name.

youukhmk

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Add God Mode in Top of Desktop Context Menu
Save text file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\GodMode]
@="God Mode"
"Icon"="control.exe"
"Position"="Top"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\GodMode\command]