How to become a mod?

4745454b

Titan
It's one of those don't ask us, we'll ask you. Knowledge is one requirement, personality is another. If you are someone who is constantly yelling and swearing at people you don't agree with, we aren't going to ask. In general if you provide help, are polite, and seem to have a good knowledge then you might get it. We aren't always looking for mods however.

"Funny" story about my asking, I was somehow marked down as someone who was asked and said no. No clue how that happened, but it stopped me from becoming a mod. I don't know for how long but I suspect years.

Colif

Win 11 Master

He would not get any sleep if it was, since no one else has that many, he would be only mod. That would be too much work, even for him.

ARICH5

Distinguished

he already is senior moderator.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The moderation team vets each potential candidate...vigorously. It is something we take very seriously.

It should be noted that we also hold each other accountable and discuss a great deal within the team when dealing with issues or problem children. With great power comes great responsibility.

To become a potential candidate in the future, keep your nose clean, help others, demonstrate both technical and communications maturity, be a productive member of the community, and who knows what the future may hold.

Colif

Win 11 Master

All of these should be how you act on the forums anyway, regardless of ambitions. I didn't even think about being a mod here when i joined up, I just wanted to help people fix their PC.. still do :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Same here. Was never a thought.

Other mod considerations....we are free labor. Also, performing mod duties limits how much actual helping others gets performed.

junii

Notable
Feb 17, 2018

You guys make it sound better than being the president LMAO

junii

Notable
Feb 17, 2018

If you think about it though, you guys are slaves to this forum. You work real hard for nothing. I bet you that we all here are failing school and throwing are lives down the drain but laugh at it.

USAFRet

Titan

No, not slaves.
If I were not a mod, I'd be doing exactly the same as I do now, just without the extra moderator duties.
Helping people fix their stuff. And learning a bit along the way.

It's a hard knock life swinging the hammer.
sometimes-the-best-way-to-solve-your-own-problems-rdisto-16366385.png

lakimens

Honorable

There are many people that are very active on this forum, helping people when they can. The mods were those guys and now they can close and merge threads. What's so slave about that? They're doing it voluntarily.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Merging was one of main reasons I got the job, it meant all the merge requests i gave them I could do myself instead. I would be here answering questions anyway, probably more than I do now.

4745454b

Titan
Merging is only one part of the job. A tiny part. Fighting spammers is another. We had a rash of spam posts early in the morning that somehow got passed our spam detector. For a week or so we were deleting spam and members en mass. Things have been fixed now but it could always happen again. I think I spend most of my "mod time" keeping the forums looking good. Removing bad words, deleting duplicate posts, fixing quotes and other code for members who can't figure it out, etc.