How to become a mod?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
First step would be Helper/Herald. Seriously doubt anyone would be a mod candidate, straight out of the 'General Population' pod. Once you've spent some time as a Trustee, and have accumulated some interaction time with existing mods, you'll be noticed. Colif being a perfect example, he'd almost spam Helper threads with 'infractions'. As he said, lol, they made him a mod to cut back on their workload and get their threads back under control. :D

Colif

Win 11 Master
tbh, its better not to be noticed by mods. I know I tried to avoid any contact with them as its a 2 sided sword, they may not agree with your reasoning. Try to stay out of heated discussions, its just easier then.

If you stick around and make a positive impact on the forums then you might be noticed. There are no written in stone guarantees that anyone will get asked. If you look at the bottom of a forum page, you will see there is a large number of mods right now and there may not be any vacancies.

Heralds are an unadvertised benefit of being noticed. How you get there is time and effort. I don't know if its posted anywhere. I know I didn't know about it until I was invited. All it offers is a place to talk to mods and ask for assistance. Just getting a second opinion in questions is really helpful.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
Moderators are stalwart leaders of the Community. They are our eyes and ears, carrying the torch when the Community Staff cannot. Not only do they protect the community from the evils of spam, trolling, and rule breaking, but also stand ready to tackle the toughest, most technical hardware/software, and computer building questions you may have.

Moderators are recognized for their length of stay on the forums, technical ability, and contributions to the Community via Best Answers. The first step to becoming a moderator is becoming a herald. Heralds earn greater recognition in the community, a direct line to the moderators and the Community Staff, and a private forum. As Colif stated above, "stick around and make a positive impact on the forums, then you might be noticed."