How to best apply Arctic MX-4?

questionsss

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Hello. What is the best manner in which to apply Arctic Cooling MX-4 thermal paste on a i5 cpu? Some ppl say "put a small grain and place the heatsink/fan ontop", while others say "spread some paste thin with a plastic card, and then place the heatsink/fan ontop".

So, which is the best way, so as not to have any "air pockets" or whatever... spread a thin layer of paste using a plastic card, or just pop a small grain of pea and smash the heatsink/fan over it, so that it will spread by itself?

Thank you.

Solution
personally i use the "pea" method, where you put a small amount of material in the middle of the cpu, and place the cooler down on top of it. (the call it bead/pea/rice sized, however, in my experience the amount of TIM you need is probably less then any of those)

With this method there is no way to get air bubbles unless you rock the cpu cooler. (after contact is made, tilt the cooler so it's no longer flush with the cpu)

I'm sure the card method works for some, but it always screamed "air bubble" to me, so i've never used it.

Hetsup

Reputable
May 25, 2015
Place a pea sized drop on the center of the processor. When you lock the heat sink down it will spread evenly itself without creating air pockets.
http://www.maximumpc.com/how-to-properly-apply-thermal-paste-and-install-a-cpu/

personally i use the "pea" method, where you put a small amount of material in the middle of the cpu, and place the cooler down on top of it. (the call it bead/pea/rice sized, however, in my experience the amount of TIM you need is probably less then any of those)

With this method there is no way to get air bubbles unless you rock the cpu cooler. (after contact is made, tilt the cooler so it's no longer flush with the cpu)

I'm sure the card method works for some, but it always screamed "air bubble" to me, so i've never used it.

Solution

questionsss

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Ok, thank you. One more thing: the BOX i5 cpu I got goes with an intel heatsink/fan (which I will use), and it already has some paste from intel on the box fan. I should remove this first before applying mx4 to the cpu, right? (using alcohol/coffee filter)

yes, if you plan to use the arctic mx-4 you'll need to clean the bottom of the intel cooler first.

rubbing alcohol (90% or better) and q-tips does a great job. a microfiber cloth to dry it off works wonders to give it a light polish. basically the contact point on that cooler should shine like a mirror when you're done.

questionsss

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
Ok, thanks! Just a final question -- do you think the BOX cooler and mx-4 paste will be enough for the i5-4460? Don't have budget for an aftermarket cooler, so hope this will suffice. This cpu can't be OCed anyway.