[SOLVED] How to block any form for download from the net?

Mar 10, 2019
How to block any form of download from the net. No website specific. I mean "any form of download".

Solution
How to block any form of download from the net. No website specific. I mean "any form of download".
What's the purpose of this?
You understand - any web browsing downloads web page content before displaying in your browser. Blocking any download would also block that.
You can block it in firewall. Disable any outgoing traffic to HTTP (port 80), HTTPS (port 443), FTP (port 20,21). And all web downloads will be blocked (web browsing also).
What's the purpose of this?
You understand - any web browsing downloads web page content before displaying in your browser. Blocking any download would also block that.
You can block it in firewall. Disable any outgoing traffic to HTTP (port 80), HTTPS (port 443), FTP (port 20,21). And all web downloads will be blocked (web browsing also).

Solution
I suspect if you need "specific process" you are not going to accomplish this. This is a read the manual question because it is done very differently on different routers. Some routers are very basic and have extremely limited abilities to filter traffic.

Your problem is what is a "download" Very technically when you run speedtest you are downloading a file and then uplaoding a file. Every image you see in a web page is "downloaded" into your machine. You can find all these pictures in the temporary internet cache if you dig around.

It is pretty easy to say block downloads from steam but how do you block something from say google. Even worse all the traffic is now encrypted so you can't really tell what they are doing on a site.

There was a older third party router firmware called gargoyle that let you set monthly data caps by user but I have not followed it in a while so I do not know how well it runs on more current routers.

It is very hard to do what you want unfortunately even with the best firewalls in existence because of the encryption. It was all done after the government got caught spying so if they can't tell what you are doing it is hard for you.

I would try the block specific sites and hope that helps.

Limiting it in the end clients is always your best option. It is also the simplest place to filter the traffic since it is before it enters the encryption. I used to recommend K9 since it is free but the bluecoat company got sold so I don't know the status of that software.

Many routers have "Set weekly / monthly limit, after which cut everything" function. See whether you have one. Once it kicks in, and you explain why it kicked in, hopefully affected parties will take a lesson.

Another point in "Why it's not possible": An hour of online video could easily exceed 1GB. So, it's not just blocking downloads, but streaming as well.