Question How to boot 970 Samsung Evo Plus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 5, 2019
Hi there
I am having a trouble booting this drive. I have spent about 4 full days doing it on my own with all the help of known internet wisdom but I end up all the time failing.
How far I can go:
Basically I install my NVMe disc, plug the windows 10 boot stick in(GPT), BIOS set to UEFI.
Boot from the stick
Clean disc.
Start installing
Complete first installation
Reboot
-----------------------
Couldn't do anything to make it boot after that reboot.
When i go to BIOS it's visible but not as one of the boot option.

I tried on my laptop GP72MVR 7RFX Leopard Pro
and on my desktop:
i7 6700k
Z170x-Gaming
16GB Ram
Ge-force 980 TI
Both with the same result.
What i did during the process is:
Cleaned the disc with discpart, make sure it's GPT not MBR but i did try that possibility too. Tried to clone it but size of the sector that NVMe got is a bollocks. Tried to install it with and without any other discs attached. BIOS are up-to-date in both cases. Tried every option in that god damn BIOS to make it happend with CSM without. I'm on the edge right now. Maybe i got wrong part or something but I'm not good enough to define that. And on the other hand if I try to use it as storage it works completly fine. Write and read speed also fine. I did bunch of stuff i didn't mention here because i lost track half way to now. But I am still willing to do it properly whatever it takes. So if anyone have some thoughts and kind to share I am here.
Bless
PS: If i missed to give some important info let me know never post about problems like that and don't know everything what you need to make it as easy as possible to you heroes.

Sep 5, 2019
BTW - Secure mode in that screenshot is still active.
70231888_1334255053416932_7381593938961891328_n.jpg
70090712_2438463326434311_9192387928033067008_n.jpg

How about now ? And what's next

Repeat instructions from post #14. This time do it in windows environment.

I suspect it didn't work, because you were running it from wrong windows installation environment.
For example, if you used windows 8 install media, but your windows version is windows 10.

1. Boot into windows, open Disk Management.
  2. Assign letter H: to 100mb EFI system partition on Disk 0.
  3. Open elevated command prompt as described here:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-open-a-windows-10-elevated-command-prompt/
4. Execute from elevated command prompt:
bcdboot D:\windows /s H: