How to boot straight into desktop?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Did anyone solve this?
Windows 10 is inconsistent in this regard. I have three systems at the moment running windows 10: one was clean installed, one was upgraded from 8.1 [both the foregoing were Windows 10 Home x64] and one was just upgraded from Windows 7, to Win 10 Pro x64.
This last one goes to the lock screen regardless of cold boot, wake from sleep, whatever, then to User Login, then to desktop.
The other 2 go straight to desktop. Of course, all three have one local Administrator account, no passwords.

I didn't do ANYthing to the first 2 to get the magic, that I am aware of. the third one has no option for 'skip password' or 'password required' in the Power settings, Advanced, with "show" all settings enabled.

What's the...

pcproffsen

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
The Autologin is nicely solved with netplwiz, as already mentioned.
But the issue that it shows the logon screen anyway while logging in automaticly is not solved.

pudergeek

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016

Some of these solutions no longer work on the Anniversary Edition. Try going through these new solutions. Some users have experienced success with them.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/disable-windows-10-lock-screen/

heyepic

Commendable
Oct 10, 2016

I was shocked to see someone else actively trying to get this done. I have a mame arcade and I'm trying to actively hide all traces of visual Windows to make it feel more authentic.

I, too, have searched high and low to get this removed with no luck. Current research on my end is looking at group policy editing as I'm running Win10Pro. Please do chime back if you come up with anything - I'll do the same.

BTW, I also have one computer that skips it entirely. Nothing I did to do that, either.

Aug 10, 2015

WRONG. Click the windows key and type in netplwiz and uncheck the box to require a password. Simple and easy.

gary63

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
- from the start menu search for run and launch the run app.
- in run type "control user passwords2" without the quotes.
- unselect "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" with the login user selected.
- you will be prompted for the password when applying the changes.

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017

faslanetech

Honorable
Aug 23, 2017
open "netplwiz" and run it...disable the "users need login and pass at startup" or whatever the verbage is, it'll ask you for your username and pass. Enter it and if correct after saving just reboot, it'll go right into the desktop (logging in automatically). I do it all the time as I don't need password entered in the home (no kids) lol.

USAFRet

Titan
open "netplwiz" and run it...disable the "users need login and pass at startup" or whatever the verbage is, it'll ask you for your username and pass. Enter it and if correct after saving just reboot, it'll go right into the desktop (logging in automatically). I do it all the time as I don't need password entered in the home (no kids) lol.
2-3 years later, I hope they're still not messing with this...;)
Please don't necro.

Status
Not open for further replies.