Question How to boot Windows on old SSD on a new PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTDROOD

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi guys!

So I sold my old pc and have the parts for a new one. I had my Windows 10 installed on an ssd (interal mushkin triactor 256gb), which I still own.

Now I didn't make a backup as I thought I could just insert this ssd in a new pc, choose it as the boot drive in the bios and that would be all.

So, I have an ssd with windows, no sata cable, no pc, no Windows usb (yet, I do have a usb, but don't know how big it should be or how to make it a Windows bootable usb), but I can borrow a laptop.

How do I manage to get an ssd in my new pc with Windows 10 using what I have?

Reactions: KimVannak
2 possibilities:

1; simply build the new PC, connect the SSD with the old Windows installation, and attempt to boot. You may or may not live happily ever after.

2; do a clean install of Windows via a USB flash drive of at least 8 GB capacity. You would make the installer using Microsoft's "Media Creation Tool".

Reactions: PCTDROOD
What were your old parts, and what are the new parts?
Data files on the old ssd are easily moved to a new pc.

On a new pc, it is best to do a new windows install.
256gb is getting a bit small for a C drive these days.
You can buy a 2tb intel 670P for $65.

If you have some apps on the ssd(other than steam) then you will need to reinstall them.
If the old and the new hardware is sufficiently similar, the old ssd may boot in which case you only need to install drivers.
Intel to intel usually works.
Intel to amd or vice versa is not likely.

PCTDROOD

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
What were your old parts, and what are the new parts?
Data files on the old ssd are easily moved to a new pc.

On a new pc, it is best to do a new windows install.
256gb is getting a bit small for a C drive these days.
You can buy a 2tb intel 670P for $65.

If you have some apps on the ssd(other than steam) then you will need to reinstall them.
If the old and the new hardware is sufficiently similar, the old ssd may boot in which case you only need to install drivers.
Intel to intel usually works.
Intel to amd or vice versa is not likely.
Old: Gigabyte Z390, i7 9700k, RTX 2070 Super

New: MSI B650 Tomahawk wifi, ryzen 5 7600x, rx 6800xt

Would you mind explaining why ssds with windows don't properly boot in new pcs?

SSDs have nothing to do with it. HDDs react the same way.

The existing Windows installation was done with a certain motherboard, certain chipset, certain drivers, certain CPU, certain RAM, etc.

When connected to the new hardware, all of that has changed. Windows wakes up in a new world and says "what kinda deal is this?" and won't cooperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts